Re: Latin liturgy question

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      I don't recall whether Felix culpa is an interpolation in the Exultet--Fr John Shaw will know--but there are passages that appear in some sources and not in others; one of these, if memory serves, is the praise of the bee.

      Felix culpa is certainly an odd perspective; could it perhaps be understood in the sense that it is better that it be expiated, and that in an amazing manner, than that it go unabsolved? That should not be controversial (except to the opposition, of course). If the sense is that it is better that Adam fell, so that God is motivated to the Incarnation and the entire economy of salvation, than that the state of paradise should have been perpetuated, with Adam and Eve in their pre-fall state, then it becomes questionable; and this seems to be the usual understanding. Better Latinists than I (Fr John; Fr Aidan Keller) will be able to sort this out.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        Dear Sergius,

        Is it then the case that the Felix culpa sentence occurs invariably in the Ambrosian and Beneventan texttypes, and in the common text except in northern Europe?

        Stephen

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Sergius Miller" <srbmillerr@a...> wrote:

        > They do not appear to be an interpolation; they were omitted from the
        > Exsultet in many areas north of the Alps during the Middle Ages.
        >
        > There are 3 families of Exsultet texts: Ambrosian, Beneventan, & the
        > common text. The Beneventan became extinct; the Ambrosian was
        > limited in area. The common text in one form or another spread
        > throughout the west.
        >
        > As you said the text is very old.

      • Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_r1937" <stephen.r@l...> wrote:

          > Dear Sergius,
          >
          > Is it then the case that the Felix culpa sentence occurs invariably
          in the Ambrosian and Beneventan texttypes, and in the common text
          except in northern Europe?

          > Stephen

          Dear Stephen,
          As nearly as I can determine it appears in the common text in all
          earlier along w/the praise of the bee. It along w/the praise of the
          bee was later omitted in many but by no means all the northern texts.

          I can't answer either way on the Ambrosian or Beneventan texts.

          In XC,
          Sergius