Re: [ustav] Resurrectional Exapostelarion #11

  • Margaret Lark
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11 5:26 AM
      Glory to God for all things! A question about exapostilaria generally: How are they formatted? I mean, after you sing the exapostilarion, do you go right into its Theotokion, or is there something like a Glory...Both now... that is inserted in between? Do you sing the exapostilarion twice, and then the Theotokion? How does this work?

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11 7:05 AM
        Dear Friends --

        Generally, the exaposteilarion is joined to its theotokion by 'Glory.Both now.'

        If there are two exaposteilarions, 'Glory' is recited after the first, and 'Both now' after the second. Sometimes an exaposteilarion is repeated, with this same pattern.

        When there are two exaposteilarions, such as on Sundays of the Pentekostarion (I'm looking at the 4th Sunday at the moment), the first exaposteilarion is recited once, followed by 'Glory'. The second one is recited once, followed by 'Both now', and then recited again. There is no indication of a theotokion here.

        The emerging patterns then seem to be something like:

        exaposteilarion
        'Glory.Both now'
        theotokion

        -or-
        exaposteilarion
        'Glory'
        exaposteilarion (same or different)
        'Both now'
        theotokion

        -or-
        exaposteilarion
        'Glory'
        exaposteilarion (same or different)
        'Both now'
        exaposteilarion (same or different)
        (no theotokion)

        The Gospel Stikheron sung at the end of the Praises is not affected by the *structure* of the exapostelarions, but may vary thematically according to the feast.

        Some exaposteilarions have been set to unique melodies (Paskha, Dormition, eg), but most are just recited. And of course, there are seventy times seven ways of doing everything....

        Peace and blessings to all.

        Monk James

        > Glory to God for all things! A question about exapostilaria
        > generally: How are they formatted? I mean, after you sing the
        > exapostilarion, do you go right into its Theotokion, or is there
        > something like a Glory...Both now... that is inserted in between?
        > Do you sing the exapostilarion twice, and then the Theotokion?
        > How does this work?
        >
        > In Christ,
        > Margaret Lark

      • Margaret Lark
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11 7:25 AM
          Thank you, Father James.

          In Christ,
          Margaret, still asking those "Ustav 101" questions

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11 8:07 AM
            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, frjsilver@o... wrote:

            > Some exaposteilarions have been set to unique melodies (Paskha, Dormition, eg), but most are just recited. And of course, there are seventy times seven ways of doing everything....

            Many exapostiaria are prosomia, and in a number of cases melodies exist in the Bulgarian chant. Byzantine Chant has most of them; the exapostilarion of the Dormition, "Apostles gathered from afar," is a prosomion of "Having adorned the heaven with stars"; the Byzantine melody is lovely. This is sung at the end of the Paraklesis during the Dormition fast, at the veneration of the icon; I find it quite moving.

            Stephen
          • chantermt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11 9:24 AM
              In a message dated 8/11/2004 11:08:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              stephen.r@... writes:
              ; the exapostilarion of the Dormition, "Apostles gathered from afar," is a
              prosomion of "Having adorned the heaven with stars"; the Byzantine melody is
              lovely.
              I must really put my $.05 in for the Rusyn melody of "Apostoly," which is one
              of the Exapostilarion melodies from the Bokshaj "Tserkovnoje Prostopinije"
              collection! <G>

              (Prof.) J. Michael Thompson
              Byzantine Catholic Seminary
              Pittsburgh, PA