off-subject...for aol users

  • asp5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      Dear Brothers and Sisters,
      i am sending this warning to you because I think it is through this group
      that I received a particularly devious SPAM email. This is for AOL users only.
      There is an extremely well created email saying it's from aol@...,
      stating that someone has been using your account fraudulently, and you need to
      verify your account. There is a link to click on which takes you to a VERY
      professional looking survey. It first asks for your user name and password. Of
      course, AOL has stated it NEVER asks for your password online, so I called it in,
      and sure enough the email was completely bogus, in spite of the AOL logos and
      all the other trappings.
      So I am saying, do NOT fall for this! If you were as gullible as I and did,
      as I started to, AOL recommends you change your password immediately.
      Sorry to trouble all the USTAVers with this, but for those to whom it
      applies, it's important!
      Anna

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
        Several months ago I received an equally convincing-looking message
        perporting to come from VISA and asking questions about my bank acct.
        etc. I smelled a bare-tailed rodent, called the appropriate people,
        and learned that it was indeed a scam. This sort of thing is not just
        nuisance spam, but an attempt by clever criminals to clean out your
        bank account. Do not give anyone your bank account number, social
        security number, credit card number, or anything of the sort by e-mail
        or on the telephone. Legitimate entities will not ask you to do so,
        so if someone does assume it's a vicious scam.

        Stephen

      • orthohawk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
          Did it even have the blue envelope next to the email line in the mailbox
          window?

          Eek......

          Dmitri Mosier
          Iowa City, Iowa

        • Reader Michael Bishop
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
            Anna,

            Your advice applies to everybody, not just to AOL subscribers. I occasionally receive similar messages from various banks, with most of whom I do not have an account. Comcast also warns about this on their web site as somebody is using Comcast's name also.

            No reliable company e-mails or telephones their customers and ask for their PIN and/or password. This information is requested only if you initiate the contact, not if they initiate it.

            Reader Michael

            Reader Michael Bishop
            570 St Mary St
            Baltimore MD 21201-1936

[...]