St Mary Magdalene

  • vaseili doukas
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2004
      A further note on St Mary Magdalene and the red Pascha
      egg:

      When I was in Jerusalem in 1974, I visited the Church
      of St Mary Magdalene in the Garden of Gethsemane. On
      one of the walls there was a full fresco of her
      standing before the emperor with red egg in hand.

      Vaseili

    • Celeste Englehardt
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 17, 2004

      • tony_saborio
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 17, 2004
          Friends,

          Christ is Risen!

          I had been taught some time back the in the tropar tone 6, "...i
          stoiashe Mariia vo grobe... stretil esi devu..." that is "...Mary
          stood by Thy grave...Thou didst meet the virgin..." refers to Mary
          Magdalene as in John 20:11ff. When I was told this it was emphasised
          that "the virgin" here was Mary Magdalene somewhat in contrast to
          Western tradition.

          Is the above correct?

          Tony

          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Celeste Englehardt <nebesna@h...> wrote:

          > On Saturday, April 17, 2004, at 09:19 AM, Albert and Celeste
          Englehardt
          > wrote:

          The Gospel tells us nothing about the youthful years of
          > >> Saint Mary, but tradition informs us, that Saint Mary Magdalene
          was
          > >> young and pretty, and led a sinful life. It says in the Gospels,
          that
          > >> the Lord expelled seven devils from Saint Mary. From the moment
          of
          > >> healing, Saint Mary led a new life. She became a true disciple
          of the
          > >> Savior.
          Snip.
> [...]
          followed
          > >> the Lord through all the cities and places where His preaching
          was
          > >> heard. She gave a joyful shout "Rabbi" which means Teacher.
          > >>
          > >> Respect and love, fondness and deep veneration, a feeling of
          > >> thankfulness and recognition at His Splendor as great Teacher--
          all
          > >> came together in this single outcry. She was able to say nothing
          more
          > >> and she threw herself down at the feet of her Teacher, to wash
          them
          > >> with tears of joy. But the Lord said to her: "Touch me not, for
          I am
          > >> still not ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and tell
          them:
          > >> "I ascend to My Father and your Father and to My God and to your

          Snip.
        • archdandrew
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
            Dear Tony;
            Christ is Risen
            The Virgin in the tropar is the Mother of God. The Gospel says that
            Mary Magd. and the other Mary went to the Tomb. The other Mary is the
            Theotokos, and there is a very nice icon type of the the two Marys
            meeting the risen Lord which make sthis clear.
            In Christ
            Fr. Andrew

          • boulia_1
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
              even though the tone 6 resurrection troparion isn't evidence, I
              believe it is correct to say that the Orthodox church and the western
              church take different views on who Mary Magdalene was.

              From what I have gleaned from Roman Catholics I know (and from Mel
              Gibson!), the Catholics seem to be pretty sure that Mary Magdalene
              was a prostitute before she began following the Lord. I have been
              taught that she was, in fact, a woman of means (that doesn't mean she
              was 'good,' but also seems to negate the necessity of her having to
              sell her body for income). Also, at least in the movie "Passion,"
              the western Christians confuse her also with the female whom Christ
              defended against a crowd that wanted to stone to death the sinful
              woman.

              I once listened to an interview of a biblical 'scholar' on NPR, who
              argued that the fact that Gospel accounts ascribe to a 'lowly' woman
              the first sighting of the resurrected Christ was, to him, among the
              best evidence of the resurrection being true. He was of the mind
              that, if the story were 'invented' by Christ's disciples, they would
              have NEVER assigned the 'role' of 'primary witness' to a woman. Such
              were the times.

              Whatever/whomever Mary Magdalene was before she began following
              Christ, there is no question that she was dearly beloved by Him and
              is great among the saints! Next Sunday, we commemorate her and her
              myrrh-bearing sisters! holy Saint Mary Magdalene, pray to God for us!

              ---elizabeth

            • asp5@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
                I may be mistaken, but I believe all the Gospels say about the past of St
                Mary Magdelene is that she had had seven demons expelled from her. I was told
                that the idea of her being a prostitute started because she was about to be
                stoned at some time and the punishment for adultery--and such--was stoning, and so
                the assumption was made. Perhaps this is in error, but I did hear that.
                Anna

              • Christopher Orr & Melanie Cortier
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 19, 2004
                  Here are two Orthodox Lives of St. Mary Magdalen, one from the OCA
                  website and the other from Orthodox America to help answer some of
                  these questions.

                  Christopher

                  St. Mary Magdalene, July 22
                  http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Feasts-and-Saints/July/Jul-22.html

                  The Holy Myrrh-Bearer Equal-to-the-Apostles Mary Magdalene. On the
                  banks of Lake Genesareth (Galilee), between the cities of Capharnum and
                  Tiberias, was the small city of Magdala, the remains of which have
                  survived to our day. At this place stands only the small village of
                  Mejhdel.

                  In Magdala sometime formerly the woman was born and grew up, whose name
                  has entered forever into the Gospel account. The Gospel tells us
                  nothing of Mary's younger years, but Tradition informs us that Mary of
                  Magdala was young and pretty, and led a sinful life. It says in the
                  Gospels that the Lord expelled seven devils from Mary (Lk. 8:2). From
                  the moment of her healing Mary led a new life, and became a true
                  disciple of the Savior.

                  The Gospel relates that Mary followed after the Lord, when He went with
                  the Apostles through the cities and villages of Judea and Galilee
                  preaching about the Kingdom of God. Together with the pious women
                  Joanna, wife of Choza (steward of Herod), Susanna and others, she
                  served Him from her own possessions (Lk 8:1-3) and undoubtedly shared
                  with the Apostles the evangelic tasks in common with the other women.
                  The Evangelist Luke, evidently, has her in view together with the other
                  women, stating that at the moment of the Procession of Christ onto
                  Golgotha, when after the Scourging He took on Himself the heavy Cross,
                  collapsing under its weight, the women followed after Him weeping and
                  wailing, but He consoled them. The Gospel relates that Mary Magdalene
                  was present on Golgotha at the moment of the Lord's Crucifixion. While
                  all the disciples of the Savior ran away, she remained fearlessly at
                  the Cross together with the Mother of God and the Apostle John.

                  The Evangelists also list among those standing at the Cross the mother
                  of the Apostle James, and Salome, and other women followers of the Lord
                  from Galilee, but all mention Mary Magdalene first. St. John, in
                  addition to the Mother of God, names only her and Mary Cleopas. This
                  indicates how much she stood out from all the women who gathered around
                  the Lord.

                  She was faithful to Him not only in the days of His Glory, but also at
                  the moment of His extreme humiliation and insult. As the Evangelist
                  Matthew relates, she was present at the Burial of the Lord. Before her
                  eyes Joseph and Nikodemos went out to the tomb with His lifeless Body.
                  She watched as they covered over the entrance to the cave with a large
                  stone, entombing the Source of Life.

                  Faithful to the Law in which she was raised, Mary together with the
                  other women spent following day at rest, because it was the great day
                  of the Sabbath, coinciding with the Feast of Passover. But all the rest
                  of the peaceful day the women gathered spices to go to the Grave of the
                  Lord at dawn on Sunday and anoint His Body according to the custom of
                  the Jews.

                  It is necessary to mention that, having agreed to go on the first day
                  of the week to the Tomb early in the morning, the holy women had no
                  possibility of meeting with one another on Saturday. They went
                  separately on Friday evening to their own homes. They went out only at
                  dawn the following day to go to the Sepulchre, not all together, but
                  each from her own house.

                  The Evangelist Matthew writes that the women came to the grave at dawn,
                  or as the Evangelist Mark expresses, extremely early before the rising
                  of the sun. The Evangelist John, elaborating upon these, says that Mary
                  came to the grave so early that it was still dark. Obviously, she
                  waited impatiently for the end of night, but it was not yet daybreak.
                  She ran to the place where the Lord's Body lay.

                  Mary went to the tomb alone. Seeing the stone pushed away from the
                  cave, she ran away in fear to tell the close Apostles of Christ, Peter
                  and John. Hearing the strange message that the Lord was gone from the
                  tomb, both Apostles ran to the tomb and, seeing the shroud and winding
                  cloths, they were amazed. The Apostles went and said nothing to anyone,
                  but Mary stood about the entrance to the tomb and wept. Here in this
                  dark tomb so recently lay her lifeless Lord.

                  Wanting proof that the tomb really was empty, she went down to it and
                  saw a strange sight. She saw two angels in white garments, one sitting
                  at the head, the other at the foot, where the Body of Jesus had been
                  placed. They asked her, "Woman, why weepest thou?" She answered them
                  with the words which she had said to the Apostles, "They have taken my
                  Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him." At that moment, she
                  turned around and saw the Risen Jesus standing near the grave, but she
                  did not recognize Him.

                  He asked Mary, "Woman, why weepest thou? Whom dost thou seek?" She
                  answered thinking that she was seeing the gardener, "Sir, if thou hast
                  taken him, tell where thou hast put Him, and I will take Him away."

                  Then she recognized the Lord's voice. This was the voice she heard in
                  those days and years, when she followed the Lord through all the cities
                  and places where He preached. He spoke her name, and she gave a joyful
                  shout, "Rabbi" (Teacher).

                  Respect and love, fondness and deep veneration, a feeling of
                  thankfulness and recognition at His Splendor as great Teacher, all came
                  together in this single outcry. She was able to say nothing more and
                  she threw herself down at the feet of her Teacher to wash them with
                  tears of joy. But the Lord said to her: "Touch me not; for I am not yet
                  ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and tell them: "I ascend
                  to My Father, and your Father; to My God and to your God."

                  She came to herself and again ran to the Apostles, to do the will of
                  Him sending her to preach. Again she ran into the house, where the
                  Apostles still remained in dismay, and proclaimed to them the joyous
                  message, "I have seen the Lord!" This was the first preaching in the
                  world about the Resurrection.

                  The Apostles proclaimed the Glad Tidings to the world, but she
                  proclaimed it to the Apostles themselves.

                  Holy Scripture does not tell us about the life of Mary Magdalene after
                  the Resurrection of Christ, but it is impossible to doubt, that if in
                  the terrifying minutes of Christ's Crucifixion she was the foot of His
                  Cross with His All-Pure Mother and St. John, she must have stayed with
                  them during the happier time after the Resurrection and Ascension of
                  Christ. Thus in the Acts of the Apostles St. Luke writes that all the
                  Apostles with one mind stayed in prayer and supplication, with certain
                  women and Mary the Mother of Jesus and His brethren.

                  Holy Tradition testifies that when the Apostles departed from Jerusalem
                  to preach to all the ends of the earth, then Mary Magdalene also went
                  with them. A daring woman, whose heart was full of reminiscence of the
                  Resurrection, she went beyond her native borders and went to preach in
                  pagan Rome. Everywhere she proclaimed to people about Christ and His
                  teaching. When many did not believe that Christ is risen, she repeated
                  to them what she had said to the Apostles on the radiant morning of the
                  Resurrection: "I have seen the Lord!" With this message she went all
                  over Italy.

                  Tradition relates that in Italy Mary Magdalene visited Emperor Tiberias
                  (14-37 A.D.) and proclaimed to him Christ's Resurrection. According to
                  Tradition, she took him a red egg as a symbol of the Resurrection, a
                  symbol of new life with the words: "Christ is Risen!" Then she told the
                  emperor that in his Province of Judea the unjustly condemned Jesus the
                  Galilean, a holy man, a miracleworker, powerful before God and all
                  mankind, had been executed at the instigation of the Jewish High
                  Priests, and the sentence confirmed by the procurator appointed by
                  Tiberias, Pontius Pilate.

                  Mary repeated the words of the Apostles, that we are redeemed from the
                  vanity of life is not with perishable silver or gold, but rather by the
                  precious Blood of Christ.

                  Thanks to Mary Magdalene the custom to give each other paschal eggs on
                  the day of the Radiant Resurrection of Christ spread among Christians
                  over all the world. On one ancient Greek manuscript, written on
                  parchment, kept in the monastery library of St. Athanasios near
                  Thessalonika, is a prayer read on the day of Holy Pascha for the
                  blessing of eggs and cheese. In it is indicated that the igumen in
                  passing out the blessed eggs says to the brethren: "Thus have we
                  received from the holy Fathers, who preserved this custom from the very
                  time of the holy Apostles, therefore the holy equal-to-the-apostles
                  Mary Magdalene first showed believers the example of this joyful
                  offering."

                  Mary Magdalene continued her preaching in Italy and in the city of Rome
                  itself. Evidently, the Apostle Paul has her in mind in his Epistle to
                  the Romans (16: 6), where together with other ascetics of evangelic
                  preaching he mentions Mary (Mariam), who as he expresses "has bestowed
                  much labor on us." Evidently, she extensively served the Church in its
                  means of subsistence and its difficulties, being exposed to dangers,
                  and sharing with the Apostles the labors of preaching.

                  According to Church Tradition, she remained in Rome until the arrival
                  of the Apostle Paul, and for two more years following his departure
                  from Rome after the first court judgment upon him. From Rome, St. Mary
                  Magdalene, already bent with age, moved to Ephesus where the holy
                  Apostle John unceasingly labored. There the saint finished her earthly
                  life and was buried.

                  Her holy relics were transferred in the ninth century to
                  Constantinople, and placed in the monastery Church of St. Lazarus. In
                  the era of the Crusader campaigns they were transferred to Italy and
                  placed at Rome under the altar of the Lateran Cathedral. Part of the
                  relics of Mary Magdalene are said to be in Provage, France near
                  Marseilles, where over them at the foot of a steep mountain a splendid
                  church is erected in her honor.

                  The Orthodox Church honors the holy memory of St. Mary Magdalene, the
                  woman called by the Lord Himself from darkness to light, and from the
                  power of Satan to God.

                  Formerly immersed in sin and having received healing, she sincerely and
                  irrevocably began a new life and never wavered from that path. Mary
                  loved the Lord Who called her to a new life. She was faithful to Him
                  not only when He was surrounded by enthusiastic crowds and winning
                  recognition as a miracle-worker, but also when all the disciples
                  deserted Him in fear and He, humiliated and crucified, hung in torment
                  upon the Cross. This is why the Lord, knowing her faithfulness,
                  appeared to her first, and esteemed her worthy to be first to proclaim
                  His Resurrection.

                  St. Mary Magdalene, July 22
                  http://www.roca.org/OA/9/9k.htm

                  Little is known of the early life of St. Mary. She was called
                  "Magdalene" because she lived in the town of Magdala on the shore of
                  the sea of Galilee, In the Bible we read that she was afflicted with an
                  incurable disease: she was possessed by seven devils (Lk. 8:2). This
                  was allowed by God's Providence so that in curing her the Lord Jesus
                  Christ could show forth the power and glory of God.

                  Helpless in her sufferings and hearing about the miracle-working power
                  of Christ, Mary hastened to Him and asked to be delivered from her
                  infirmity. Through her faith in, His almighty power, Christ cast the
                  seven devils out from her. Her heart became filled with thanksgiving
                  and pure love for her Divine Healer. From that time-forth She dedicated
                  her whole life to her Saviour Jesus Christ and became one of his most
                  devoted disciples. She took every opportunity to listen to His
                  teachings and to serve Him. Her example encouraged other women to do
                  likewise.

                  Particularly remarkable was the determination and unusual courage which
                  Mary Magdalene showed toward her Saviour. At the time of His greatest
                  suffering, while He hung on the Cross and when even His apostles had
                  abandoned Him, Mary, Magdalene stood at the foot of the Cross together
                  with the Mother of God and the-Lord's beloved disciple, John. They
                  mourned and wept,, but even in their weeping they comforted the Saviour
                  with their undying love and the knowledge that He had not been utterly
                  forsaken. That night, Mary Magdalene came with Joseph of Arimathea and
                  Nikodemos when they took the Body of her beloved Lord down from the
                  Cross and laid It in a tomb. Together with the other women disciples,
                  she returned to prepare myrrh and other ointments with which to anoint
                  the precious Body of Christ, according to the Jewish custom. Very early
                  in the morning on the first day of the week, While it was still dark,
                  Mary Magdalene came to the sepulchre (tomb) carrying the ointments.
                  (For this reason the Church calls her "Myrrh-bearer".) Coming close she
                  saw that the large stone that had been placed at the entrance of the
                  tomb had been rolled away. She thought that perhaps someone had already
                  come and taken the Body to another rplace. Hurrying back to Jerusalem
                  she told the apostles Peter and John: "They have taken away the Lord
                  out of the sepulchre, 'and we know not where they have laid Him."
                  Together with them she went again to the tomb and. stood there weeping.
                  When they had left she stooped down and looked into the sepulchre.
                  There she saw two angels who asked why she was crying. She told them
                  and then,. turning around, she saw Jesus, but in her grief she did not
                  recognize Him, and thinking -He was the gardener, told Him also the
                  reason for her weeping. It was only Then He said her name: "Mary!" that
                  she recognized Him as her beloved Lord. Not believing her ; own ears,
                  she cried out with joy, "Master ! Then quickly following his His
                  instructions, she ran quickly to announce the good news to the
                  disciples: �Christ is risen!� (Because she was the first, sent by the
                  Lord Himself, to proclaim the Resurrection, the Church also calls her
                  "Equal-to-the--Apostles".

                  Even after Christ�s Ascension into heaven, Mary Magdalen continued to
                  preach the good news of Christ's glorious Resurrection, not only in
                  Jerusalem, but also in other countries. She spent her last years in
                  Ephesus helping St, John the Evangelist in missionary labors. There she
                  died peacefully.

                  In the 9th century her incorrupt relics were taken to Constantinople
                  and placed in the church of St. Lazarus' Monastery.

                  St. Mary Magdalen zealously fulfilled the first and greatest
                  commandment: Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy
                  mind and with all thy strength. Her life is an example for us tolove
                  and serve God above all, not fearing what others may say or do to us.
                  Let us too, be apostles of the faith and tell everyone the good news
                  which St. Mary Magdalene was first to proclaim: "Christ is Risen! In
                  Truth He is Risen!"

                • archdandrew
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 19, 2004
                    The West held, even before the schism, that Mary Magdalene and the
                    sinful woman who annointed Christ's feet were one and the same. St.
                    Gregory the Great says this in one of his homolies on the Gospel. That
                    that woman was a prostitute is supported by a homilie by St. Ephraim
                    the Syrian. The Synaxarion for this coming Sunday in both the complete
                    Pentecostarion in Slavonic and Greek takes some space refuting this
                    theory. [At least I think that is where I read it.] I don't know if
                    they were refuting the R.C.'s or if the theory was also currrent among
                    the Orthodox. There is or was an English translation this synaxarion
                    along with others from the Lenten and Tsvetnaya Triods.
                    Fr. Andrew

                  • Isaac E. Lambertsen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 19, 2004
                      Dear List,

                      Christ is risen!

                      The standard synaxarion from the Slavonic Pentecostarion (Tsvetnaya Triod')
                      for the Sunday of the Myrrh0bearing Women contains no disquisition on St.
                      Mary Magdalene. It merely states that she was the woman out of whom Christ
                      had cast seven devils, and then goes on to give a brief account of her
                      meeting with the Emperor Tiberius. Perhaps the Prolog has something for the
                      date of her commemoration in July.

                      I have an English translation of the Myrrh-bearers' synaxarion. If anyone
                      would like a copy, contact me off list.

                      Sincerely,

                      Isaac Lambertsen
                    • Isaac E. Lambertsen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 20, 2004
                        Dear List,

                        Curiously, the OCA on-line version of the life of St. Mary Magdalene seems
                        to follow the Western opinion that the devils which Christ expelled from the
                        saint manifested their baleful influence by driving the saint to acts of
                        fornication.

                        The life as it appears in the Great Synaxaristes (in Greek) goes on for, I'm
                        told, 50+ pages, and denies this categorically.

                        The life as it appears in _The Lives of the Saints in the Russian Language
                        according to the Menology of Saint Dmitri of Rostov_ does not reproduce the
                        version in the Slavonic original, but is a later composition, no more than,
                        I would guess, a hundred years old (that is, written, in my opinion,
                        specifically for the publication of that set). I am at a loss to explain
                        why this was deemed necessary. (St. Mary Magdalene was the heavenly patron
                        of the Empress Maria, consort of Emperor Alexander II and grandmother of St.
                        Nicholas II, who was Emperor at the time the Russian set was published.
                        Could there be some quasi-political motive in the change?)

                        If someone has access to the Slavonic version of St. Dmitri's work, perhaps
                        he or she would contribute to this thread by relating what that life has to
                        say about the prostitution/fornication issue.

                        Sincerely,

                        Isaac Lambertsen
                      • archdandrew
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 22, 2004
                          Sorry about that. The entry is in the synaxarion for Holy And Great
                          Wednesday. It doesn't really discuss St. Mary Magd. either, but it
                          does refute the assertion by St. Gregory that the woman that was a
                          harlot mentioned as annointing XP"s feet is the same as the Mary who
                          annoints His feet in the Gospel of St. John. And it identifies that
                          Mary as the sister of Lazarus not as Mayr Magd. as does St. Gregory.
                          In Christ
                          Fr. Andrew

                          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Isaac E. Lambertsen" <isaac@i...> wrote:
                          > Dear List,
                          >
                          > Christ is risen!
                          >
                          > The standard synaxarion from the Slavonic Pentecostarion (Tsvetnaya
                          Triod')
                          > for the Sunday of the Myrrh0bearing Women contains no disquisition
                          on St.
                          > Mary Magdalene. It merely states that she was the woman out of whom
                          Christ
                          > had cast seven devils, and then goes on to give a brief account of her
                          > meeting with the Emperor Tiberius. Perhaps the Prolog has something
                          for the
                          > date of her commemoration in July.
                          >
                          > I have an English translation of the Myrrh-bearers' synaxarion. If
                          anyone
                          > would like a copy, contact me off list.
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          >
                          > Isaac Lambertsen
                        • hmkzosimas
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
                            Dear Ustavniki,

                            If someone were to serve a high-ranking feast for St Mary Magdalene, what Gospel reading would be used at Matins?

                            Thank you in advance,
                            Hieromonk Zosimas
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
                              Father, bless!  Not sure what you mean by a "high-ranking feast," but I did look up this feast in the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar, and I find that it is a Six-Stichera-rank feast, and the prescribed readings are:

                              Epistle for St. Mary Magdalene:  1 Corinthians 9:2-12, Section 141
                              Gospel for St. Mary Magdalene:  Luke 8:1-3, Section 34

                              Hope that helps.

                              Kissing your right hand,
                              Margaret Lark

                              On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM, <HmkZosimas@...> wrote:

                              Dear Ustavniki,

                              If someone were to serve a high-ranking feast for St Mary Magdalene, what Gospel reading would be used at Matins?

                              Thank you in advance,
                              Hieromonk Zosimas

                            • Philip Silouan Thompson
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
                                Just to learn if I've been doing it wrong: I would use the Matins Gospel reading from the appropriate rank in the General Menaion. For an Apostle, that's Matt 9:36-38;10:1-8. I don't know if that service applies also to an Equal-to-the-Apostles.

                                If that's not correct on any count above, I will appreciate the correction!

                                In Christ,
                                Deacon Silouan Thompson

                                On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM, <HmkZosimas@...> wrote:

                                Dear Ustavniki,

                                If someone were to serve a high-ranking feast for St Mary Magdalene, what Gospel reading would be used at Matins?

                                Thank you in advance,
                                Hieromonk Zosimas

                              • Philip Sokolov
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
                                  Hieromonk Zosimas wrote:

                                  > If someone were to serve a high-ranking feast for St Mary Magdalene,
                                  > what Gospel reading would be used at Matins?

                                  I seem to remember that there is an alternate service to her in the
                                  Menaion that is higher-ranking, and thus may already include a matins
                                  gospel. I will look it up tomorrow.

                                  In Christ,
                                  Philip
                                • Philip Sokolov
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                                    Hieromonk Zosimas wrote:

                                    > If someone were to serve a high-ranking feast for St Mary Magdalene,
                                    > what Gospel reading would be used at Matins?

                                    Okay, I found the Polyeleos-rank service to St. Mary Magdalene (alone).
                                    Here are all the readings:

                                    Vespers:
                                    1. 1 John 3:21-4:6
                                    2. 1 John 4:11-16
                                    3. 1 John 4:20-5:5

                                    Matins Gospel:
                                    (64) John 20:11-18

                                    Liturgy of St. John:
                                    (141) 1 Corinthians 9:2-12
                                    (112) Luke 12:1-12

                                    Note that this Divine Liturgy Gospel is different from the one given at
                                    the Double Service, which is (34) Luke 8:1-3, but the Epistle is the same.

                                    In Christ,
                                    Philip
                                  • Daniel Olson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013

                                      On Oct 30, 2013, Hieromonk Zosimas wrote:

                                      If someone were to serve a high-ranking feast for St Mary Magdalene, what Gospel reading would be used at Matins?

                                      There are two services for St. Mary Magdalene. The first is basically a "six-sichera" service; but is combined with the service to St. Phocas of Sinope.

                                      The second service is a polyeleos-rank service to St. Mary Magdalene alone.

                                      Both of these services are found in the July volume (2nd edition) of the Menaion published by the St. John of Kronstadt Press. It is usually possible to order separate services in loose-leaf format from the Press; but it is advisable to check with them on availability.

                                      To answer Fr. Zosimas' question:

                                      The Matins Gospel for St. Mary Magdalene is John 20:11-18 (pericope 64).

                                      Daniel Olson

                                    • hmkzosimas
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 1, 2013

                                        Greatly appreciated.