[ustav] What are good materials for learning Russian/Slavonic?

  • Serge Keleher
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 1998
      Justin asks about materials for studying Church-Slavonic. It might be
      worth-while to get in touch with Archimandrite Pankraty, St. Vladimir's
      Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, Chicago; he teaches Church-Slavonic (and
      qualified for this purpose at the Academy in St. Petersburg).

      (Archimandrite) Serge
    • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 1998
        At 04:03 AM 12/03/1998 -0500, you wrote:
        >Justin asks about materials for studying Church-Slavonic. It might be
        >worth-while to get in touch with Archimandrite Pankraty, St. Vladimir's
        >Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, Chicago; he teaches Church-Slavonic (and
        >qualified for this purpose at the Academy in St. Petersburg).
        >
        >(Archimandrite) Serge

        At some time in the past (about 20 years ago, I think) the
        Univ of CA at (San Diego? San Francisco?) had a Church
        Slavonic course on computer (on their mainframe) and people
        could log in and learn the basics of vocabulary and grammar,
        if not pronunciation. I have often wondered what happened to
        that course as computers have changed so much since the late
        70's. Does anyone know about this?

        If it still exists, it might be possible to enroll as a
        distance student just to take that one series of courses.

        Of course, it would be very nice (if it still exists) if
        "they" would permit Orthodox Christians to take the course
        for a rock-bottom reduced price.... :)

        In Christ,
        Elizabeth, the sinner
        and Perennial Student
      • Rev. John R. Shaw
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 1998
          Currently I am at work translating Archbishop Alypy's grammar of Church
          Slavonic into English. This is the text that we studied from in
          Jordanville--some 270 pp. long, and at present we are slowly approaching
          p. 200. There is a plan to publish this book in English at Jordanville
          once it is finally ready--meanwhile Vl. Alypy is correcting my translation
          as it goes along, and adding revisions and further explanations. There are
          also tapes assisitng in Slavonic reading and pronunciation available from
          Jordanville.

          On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Serge Keleher wrote:

          > Justin asks about materials for studying Church-Slavonic. It might be
          > worth-while to get in touch with Archimandrite Pankraty, St. Vladimir's
          > Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, Chicago; he teaches Church-Slavonic (and
          > qualified for this purpose at the Academy in St. Petersburg).
          >
          > (Archimandrite) Serge
          > More trinkets than the 1996 Olympics. Fewer lines than the Goodwill Games
          > ESPN gear, SportsCenter gear, NBA NHL MLB NCAA NFL gear, Memorabilia
          > http://ads.egroups.com/click/146/0
          >

          > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

        • Genevieve Holland
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 1998
            Dr. McLellan has partially translated into English a Church Slavonic
            textbook, written, I think, by a Fr. Andre, since reposed. This is
            what we use at the Jordanville summer music school.

            Genevieve

            ---Justin Zamora <zamora@...> wrote:

            > My wife and I are interested in learning Russian and Slavonic. What
            > textbooks, dictionaries, grammars, tapes, or other materials would you
            > recommend using? Both of us are good with languages, and my wife has
            > a degree in linguistics, so we would prefer more rigorous and
            > systematic approaches.
            >
            > Forgive me for being a little off-topic, but this seemed to be the
            > best list to ask.
            >
            > Justin

            > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

            ==
            Genevieve Holland | genevieveholland@...
            | 2102 Summit Dr.
            | McKinney, TX 75070
            | St. Nicholas ROCA <www.orthodox.net>
            +Let every breath praise the Lord!+

          • Serge Keleher
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 1998
              With regard to Church-Slavonic does anyone have good
              Church-Slavonic computer fonts, either for Mac or for PC?

              (Archimandrite) Serge
            • Dan Swires
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 1998
                You can go to this site and pick one. I use the altrussisch.

                http://www.dtcc.edu/~berlin/font/slavonic.htm

                unworthy deacon Daniel Swires

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 1998
                  I am rather surprised to hear that Fr. Andre is "reposed"--he is still
                  listed in the Jordanville calendar's clergy booklet. His book is a
                  practical series of exercises with vocabularies, an is quite useful if you
                  already know some Russian. It has the drawback that it is not designed for
                  non-Russian speakers, also that there are no exercises from English into
                  Slavonic, which is an important part of the learning process. Simply
                  translating this book into English as-is would not be enough--it needs to
                  be restructured for the student who does not already know Russian.
                  Fr. John R. Shaw

                • Rev. John R. Shaw
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 1998
                    Yes--the best is the "Jordanville" font supplied by the Linotype Company
                    or by Fr. George Fokin at Jordanville. There is also another supplied by
                    Linguist's Software for about $100, and there are others that can be
                    downloaded gratis from the Internet, for example from Dr. Berlin's.
                    Fr. John R. Shaw

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 1998
                      I too like the Altrussisch, but unfortunately it lacks one or two of the
                      characters needed to type "new" as opposed to "old" Church Slavonic, and
                      it does not have accents unless you have a program that allows overtyping.
                      A bit better is the "Evangelje" font or the "Wincyr" which is a reworking
                      of the same.
                      The "Novgorod" and "Lavra" fonts are good for initials or
                      decorative headings.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 1998
                        > I am rather surprised to hear that Fr. Andre is "reposed"--he is still
                        > listed in the Jordanville calendar's clergy booklet.
                        Oops! I must have mixed my sources. Please forgive me for spreading
                        rumors. :)

                        >His book is a
                        > practical series of exercises with vocabularies, an is quite useful
                        if you
                        > already know some Russian. It has the drawback that it is not
                        designed for
                        > non-Russian speakers, also that there are no exercises from English
                        into
                        > Slavonic, which is an important part of the learning process. Simply
                        > translating this book into English as-is would not be enough--it
                        needs to
                        > be restructured for the student who does not already know Russian.

                        The book is rather difficult to follow in places for non-Russian
                        speakers (such as myself). At the summer school, I took Slavonic I
                        twice and I hope I've passed it this time. I'll probably be repeating
                        II this summer, as well. I'm learning Russian this year, and things
                        are making a lot more sense!

                        Genevieve

                        ==
                        Genevieve Holland | genevieveholland@...
                        | 2102 Summit Dr.
                        | McKinney, TX 75070
                        | St. Nicholas ROCA <www.orthodox.net>
                        +Let every breath praise the Lord!+

                      • Stephen Shott
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 6, 1998
                          Genevieve Holland wrote:

                          >Dr. McLellan has partially translated into English a Church Slavonic
                          >textbook, written, I think, by a Fr. Andre, since reposed. This is
                          >what we use at the Jordanville summer music school.

                          Is there any way that one could obtain a copy of this translation without
                          attending the summer school? Travelling half way around the world to take
                          one unit at the summer school is not really a practical option...

                          Stephen.

                          --
                          Stephen Shott, Email: sshott@...
                          Phone: (03) 6226 2451 (Work)

                        • Ohrid
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 16, 1998
                            My wife and I are interested in learning Russian and Slavonic. What
                            > textbooks, dictionaries, grammars, tapes, or other materials would you
                            > recommend using? Both of us are good with languages, and my wife has
                            > a degree in linguistics, so we would prefer more rigorous and
                            > systematic approaches.
                            I don't know if this thread is moribund, but Saint Tikhon's Seminary has a nice OCS dictionary with th Russian and English word equivalents.

                            Best deal for RUssian is K.I. Pexlivanova and M.N. Labedeva Grammatika russkogo jazika v illjustratsijax, Moscow 1987 (I got mine at the Yale Coop Bookstore for 14 dollars in about 1993) which teaches RUssian grammar (even quite complex grammar) through picutres for children and adults (without insulting them). For example, picutres show a guy about to sit (in act of beginning to sit) with Ja sazhus', a guy on the edge of his chair for motion in actively sitting ja sjadu, and kind of leaning back in the chair immobile sitting, ja sizhu. Great thing about this book is it needs no English. One of these days I must go through it and remember.

                            Galina

                            > Forgive me for being a little off-topic, but this seemed to be the
                            > best list to ask.
                            >
                            > Justin

                            > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

                            -----
                            See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ustav/?start=142
                          • Ohrid
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 16, 1998
                              I too like the Altrussisch, but unfortunately it lacks one or two of the
                              > characters needed to type "new" as opposed to "old" Church Slavonic, and
                              > it does not have accents unless you have a program that allows overtyping.
                              > A bit better is the "Evangelje" font or the "Wincyr" which is a reworking
                              > of the same.
                              > The "Novgorod" and "Lavra" fonts are good for initials or
                              > decorative headings.
                              Becaue Serbian and Macedonian often use some letters that other CHurch Slavic based language often no longer uses, I use Miroslavlica Cirilic'a. I got this form a friend of mine in Beograd with a bunch of other slavic fonts. If anyone wants this one or a couple others (I have many Macedonian fonts for example), I will do a mass email to those interested. Anyone emails me in this week I will make mass slavonic fonts email.

                              Galina (spasi@...)

                              -----
                              See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ustav/?start=164
                            • Rev. John R. Shaw
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 17, 1998
                                My favorite Russian textbook is Anna H. Semeonoff's A NEW RUSSIAN GRAMMAR,
                                in three parts (Syntax, which is Part 3, is a separate volume) published
                                by E.P. Dutton in many editions. This book is extremely well put together,
                                and one of its features is that the Cyrillic alphabet is introduced
                                gradually, a few characters at a time, while the reader is already well on
                                the way to learning the language. I was given this book by a family friend
                                when I was 14 years old, began working through it a little each night
                                after my regular homework, and wound up learning Russian without a
                                teacher.
                                For Slavonic, the dictionary published by St. Tikhon's gives for
                                the most part only those Slavonic words that are unfamiliar to Russians.
                                There is a good, and much larger, Church Slavonic-to-Russian dictionary
                                printed in Russia and sold at Jordanville, by Fr. Grigoriy Diachenko.

                                E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav