[ustav] Re: EXAPOSTILARIA

  • Michael Shoemaker
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 1998
      In the Byzantine tradition, the Resurrectional Expostilaria and Theotokia
      are sung in the second tone.

      A question that I have had for a while is: is what tone is the Doxology
      sung in? is it determined by the tone of the week, the Eothonion,
      particular feast? The answer is probably all of the above :) Is there a
      difference between Byz. and Russian traditions in this?

      mike
      mshoe1@...
    • Genevieve Holland
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 1998
        I didn't know that the Doxology was part of the 8 tones. I've heard it
        in 6th tone, but most of the music I've seen for it appears to be not
        based on a particular tone.

        BTW, what is the "Eothonion"?

        Genevieve

        > A question that I have had for a while is: is what tone is the
        Doxology
        > sung in? is it determined by the tone of the week, the Eothonion,
        > particular feast? The answer is probably all of the above :) Is
        there a
        > difference between Byz. and Russian traditions in this?
        >
        > mike
        > mshoe1@...

        > Gobble up some brain food, then Yak Back in our chat room
        > See new Detective in a Jar episodes; Aladdin and Lion King comics
        > http://ads.egroups.com/click/131/1
        >
        > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

        ==
        Genevieve Holland | genevieveholland@...
        | 2102 Summit Dr.
        | McKinney, TX 75070
        | St. Nicholas ROCA <www.orthodox.net>
        +Let every breath praise the Lord!+

      • Viatcheslav Davidenko
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 1998
          Interested by the discussion, I looked in Bulgakov, Nikolskiy, and in the Typikon to see whethere anything is said as to the chant used for the Great Doxology. The only thing I found that is interesting to mention, but is probably already known to most, is that it is chanted from the middle of the church (according to Nikolskiy's 'Aid to the study of the Ustav').

          Here is something to think about: in the 'Sputnik' (Companion of the Psalmist(Reader)) the Great Doxology is rendered in the 'usual' chant with no indication to a tone from the oectoikos.

          Hope this helps.
          In Christ,
          subdeacon Viatcheslav.

          I didn't know that the Doxology was part of the 8 tones. I've heard it
          in 6th tone, but most of the music I've seen for it appears to be not
          based on a particular tone.

          BTW, what is the "Eothonion"?

          Genevieve

          > A question that I have had for a while is: is what tone is the
          Doxology
          > sung in? is it determined by the tone of the week, the Eothonion,
          > particular feast? The answer is probably all of the above :) Is
          there a
          > difference between Byz. and Russian traditions in this?
          >
          > mike
          > mshoe1@...

          > Gobble up some brain food, then Yak Back in our chat room
          > See new Detective in a Jar episodes; Aladdin and Lion King comics
          > http://ads.egroups.com/click/131/1
          >
          > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

          ==
          Genevieve Holland | genevieveholland@...
          | 2102 Summit Dr.
          | McKinney, TX 75070
          | St. Nicholas ROCA <www.orthodox.net>
          +Let every breath praise the Lord!+

          More trinkets than the 1996 Olympics. Fewer lines than the Goodwill Games
          ESPN gear, SportsCenter gear, NBA NHL MLB NCAA NFL gear, Memorabilia
          http://offers.egroups.com/click/172/0