Re: [ustav] Fw: [Orthodox-Church-Needleworkers] [Fwd: [yahoo webbeacons]

  • Maria Armstrong
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2004
      Yes!!! Avoid yourself trouble and never ever click on a link sent to you
      even from someone you know, because some viruses use names in address
      books.
      maria.

      On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:01:20 -0500 "Isaac E. Lambertsen"
      <isaac@...> writes:
      > Dear Margaret,
      >
      > When you say "I had already clicked on the link, so knew it was
      > legitimate",
      > I fear you are being rather naive in these troubled computorial
      > times.
      >
      > Scammers are becoming increasingly aggressive. Sometimes, in order
      > to get
      > people's personal information, they go to great lengths to send
      > messages
      > that look entirely legitimate, but the links they provide do not
      > actually
      > connect to the genuine organization. This most often happens when
      > they want
      > to con you out of your credit card number or the personal data you
      > use for
      > secuirty purposes (mother's maiden name, date of birth, etc.). But
      > they can
      > use such a con for other purposes as well. It's always better to
      > deal
      > directly with the company/site, rather than click on a link sent
      > through the
      > e-mails. And if in doing so you find that something's fishy, inform
      > the
      > company immediately.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Isaac Lambertsen

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Chris Csernica
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Isaac E. Lambertsen" <isaac@i...> wrote:
        > Dear Margaret,
        >
        > When you say "I had already clicked on the link, so knew it was
        legitimate",
        > I fear you are being rather naive in these troubled computorial times.

        Except that in this case there was no danger to speak of. Although
        it's possible to be decieved with a link provided in an HTML formatted
        email -- and this is just one of the reasons why HTML email is a Bad
        Thing -- in this case it was a plain text message with the URL right
        there to see. Many email clients will parse URLs out and make them
        clickable. This is *not* the same thing as a link encoded in HTML
        formatted mail where you have to trust that the sender is sending you
        where he says he's sending you unless you look at the source.

        In this case, it was a URL obviously pointing to a real server at
        yahoo.com. If you were already logged in to Yahoo Groups you were
        *not* asked for your email address and password, as a spammer or
        malicious hacker would have had you do in every case. You can
        furthermore get to the very same page by clicking the Privacy Policy
        link at the bottom of every page of the Yahoo Groups web interface,
        then on "Find them here" under "More about Yahoo privacy" at the top
        of the menu bar to the left, and then on "Web Beacons" in the
        resulting list of topics. As anyone still interested in this subject,
        but who might be wary of following the provided link, may still do.

        -- Theodore Csernica
      • Margaret Lark
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
          Glory to God for all things!
          > When you say "I had already clicked on the link, so knew it was
          legitimate",
          > I fear you are being rather naive in these troubled computorial times.

          Except that in this case there was no danger to speak of....
          <snip>

          -- Theodore Csernica

          Aside from which, I know the *person* who sent me the original notice, which is why I felt safe in forwarding it. Sheesh, whatta flap over an innocent attempt to be a Nice Person. It really is easier to be my usual self. ;-)