Re: Three questions

  • Sergius Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9 9:53 AM
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, asp5@a... wrote:
      > Finally, does anyone has access to the service for St. Theophan the
      Recluse
      > in English?
      > Many thanks,
      > Anna

      The service is in the January vol. of the Menaion from SJKP. I
      suspect the separate service is also available.

      Sergius
    • Sergius Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9 10:01 AM
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, asp5@a... wrote:
        > Also, if the menaion omits printing a stavrotheotokion after a
        glory verse,
        > where do we find it? Could we use one from the octoechos?

        This question puzzles me. If we are talking about the troparion, the
        Menaion supplies these at the back of the volume. If we are talking
        about the sticheri at Vespers or Matins, these are always supplied
        within the text of the service. UNLESS, we are talking of services of
        Great Doxology rank or higher; then there is no stavrotheotokion.
        Instead the resurrectional theotokia are used. Altho' at the Praises
        of Matins usually one of the common theotokia in the same tone as the
        doxasticon is used because the Sunday theotokion is not appropriate.

        In XC,
        Sergius
      • Anna Voellmecke
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10 9:53 AM
          At 12:29 PM 1/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:

          > > If a service calls for verses to be sung at the Praises of Matins,
          >and the
          > > menaion omits printing a theotokion, where is the appropriate
          >theotokion to be
          > > found?
          >
          >JRS: If you have a Slavonic edition of the Menaion, the Theotokia
          >(Bogorodichny) and Stavrotheotokia (Krestobogoroditchny) are all to be
          >found in an appendix at the back of each volume.

          They are all together also in the St. John of Kronstadt Press loose-leaf
          English publication.

          Anna V.