Re: [ustav] Three questions

  • Fr. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
      Glorify Him!

      Regarding:

      > If a service calls for verses to be sung at the Praises of Matins,
      and the
      > menaion omits printing a theotokion, where is the appropriate
      theotokion to be
      > found?

      JRS: If you have a Slavonic edition of the Menaion, the Theotokia
      (Bogorodichny) and Stavrotheotokia (Krestobogoroditchny) are all to be
      found in an appendix at the back of each volume.

      The Greek Menaion usually provides all these texts where they are
      called for in the service.

      In Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Sergius Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, asp5@a... wrote:
        > Finally, does anyone has access to the service for St. Theophan the
        Recluse
        > in English?
        > Many thanks,
        > Anna

        The service is in the January vol. of the Menaion from SJKP. I
        suspect the separate service is also available.

        Sergius
      • Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, asp5@a... wrote:
          > Also, if the menaion omits printing a stavrotheotokion after a
          glory verse,
          > where do we find it? Could we use one from the octoechos?

          This question puzzles me. If we are talking about the troparion, the
          Menaion supplies these at the back of the volume. If we are talking
          about the sticheri at Vespers or Matins, these are always supplied
          within the text of the service. UNLESS, we are talking of services of
          Great Doxology rank or higher; then there is no stavrotheotokion.
          Instead the resurrectional theotokia are used. Altho' at the Praises
          of Matins usually one of the common theotokia in the same tone as the
          doxasticon is used because the Sunday theotokion is not appropriate.

          In XC,
          Sergius
        • Anna Voellmecke
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2004
            At 12:29 PM 1/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:

            > > If a service calls for verses to be sung at the Praises of Matins,
            >and the
            > > menaion omits printing a theotokion, where is the appropriate
            >theotokion to be
            > > found?
            >
            >JRS: If you have a Slavonic edition of the Menaion, the Theotokia
            >(Bogorodichny) and Stavrotheotokia (Krestobogoroditchny) are all to be
            >found in an appendix at the back of each volume.

            They are all together also in the St. John of Kronstadt Press loose-leaf
            English publication.

            Anna V.