Re: [ustav] Southern Missions Conference - Oct. 24th Registration Deadline

  • Janet M Damian
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
      how come nothing ever happens in the midwest?!
      this sounds like a great conference,

      janet

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • frvboldewskul@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
        In a message dated 10/9/03 9:00:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, damianj@...
        writes:

        > how come nothing ever happens in the midwest?!
        > this sounds like a great conference,
        >
        > janet

        Dear Janet,
        How do you define the Midwest? A lot has happened in the Midwest diocese of
        the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad over the past two years. Perhaps you could
        send me your address privately, and we will include you on our mailing list.
        In Christ,
        Priest Victor Boldewskul

      • Sophia Rountree
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2003
          Atlanta is easy to get to, come on down and join us!

          Sophia

        • ewriggs@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2003
            Well, it takes the following:
            1) your bishop must mandate (or at the least actively support it)
            2) a parish must sponsor and coordinate it (a lot of $$ and hard work, I can assure you!)
            3) good central location - easy to access, low $$ for travel, motel, etc
            4) excellent speakers (who don't charge you for speaking!) and interesting topics
            5) good food, access to shopping
            6) varied "Church" shops
            7) people to attend (marketing, marketing, marketing)

            And if you decide to have one, contact those who have coordinated them in the past for
            help in getting it off the ground (Larissa Williams at St. Mary's, Sophia Bridges at Our
            Lady - both in the Atlanta - area for starters, but there are many others both in the
            SouthEast and in other parts of the country).

            Although a bookstore or crafts shop may bring in a few $$, don't plan on making major
            $$ off of a conference. When just starting out, you will do well just to break even. After a
            few years, when you have contacts in the transportation, hotel and food industries in
            your area, you may be able to develop some "package deals" and make some $$ for
            your parish. But it depends largely on the work of the planning and implementation
            committee(s). A **lot** of time and energy goes into putting on the Southern Missions
            Conference each year.

            I iterate what Sophia Rountree said - come to the conference this year. See how it is
            handled. Talk to the people from both parishes who have been involved in putting it on
            this year and in the past. Then go back and think about it. Personally, I see no reason
            each Diocese shouldn't have one of these annually. And, if Orthodoxy grows, it might
            someday come down to the point of each state having one.

            These conferences are a wonderful way to meet other Orthodox from outside your
            immediate area. The Southeast conference typically draws attendees from as far away
            Illinois, Pennsylvania, and even Oklahoma and TX.

            So, y'all come on down hyear and see us, y'hear?!

            Love in Christ,
            Elizabeth, the sinner
            and Perennial Student