Southern Missions Conference - Oct. 24th Registration Deadline

  • Sophia Rountree
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
      The October 24, 2003 Registration Deadline is rapidly
      approaching! Don�t miss it!!

      Babysitting available for the Conference, contact
      Larisa Williams for more information.

      Southern Missions Conference
      November 7th - 9th 2003

      "Living Traditional Orthodoxy"

      With the Blessing of Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan
      Hosted by St. Mary of Egypt Orthodox Church (ROCA)
      Atlanta, GA

      Speakers:
      Bishop Gabriel - Welcome and Opening Remarks
      Fr. John Moses - "Living Traditional Orthodoxy"
      Fr. George Johnson - "The Vigil"
      Reader Daniel Olson - "Living the Liturgical Cycles of
      the Church"

      Workshops:
      The Hierarchal Liturgy - Reader Daniel Olson
      The Proskomedia - Fr. Anastasy Yatrelis
      The Moleben and Panikhida - Fr. Viatcheslav Davidenko

      * Akathist to the Kursk Icon on Friday Night *

      Registration Information:
      Cost: $75.00
      Students 14 and up: $25.00
      Cost includes 2-day conference with lunch provided
      Saturday and Sunday

      Contact Larisa Williams
      lmurianka@...
      404.943.1204
      404.943.1206 (fax)

      Hotel Recommendation:
      Guesthouse Inn - Atlanta Northeast
      Norcross, GA
      770-564-0492
      www.guesthouseintl.com

      A block of rooms has been set-aside for the
      Conference. Be sure to
      mention Southern Missions Conference to receive $44
      per night Double
      Room rate.

      Registration Address:

      St. Mary of Egypt Church - Missions Conference
      4155 Lawrenceville Hwy #8112
      Lilburn, GA 30047

      Name:

      Address:

      Email:

      Number attending: Adults: Students:

      Parish:

      Telephone:

      Registration ends October 24, 2003

      Look for updates at http://www.stmaryofegypt.org

      =====
      http://www.stmaryofegypt.org/

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Janet M Damian
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
        how come nothing ever happens in the midwest?!
        this sounds like a great conference,

        janet

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • frvboldewskul@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
          In a message dated 10/9/03 9:00:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, damianj@...
          writes:

          > how come nothing ever happens in the midwest?!
          > this sounds like a great conference,
          >
          > janet

          Dear Janet,
          How do you define the Midwest? A lot has happened in the Midwest diocese of
          the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad over the past two years. Perhaps you could
          send me your address privately, and we will include you on our mailing list.
          In Christ,
          Priest Victor Boldewskul

        • Sophia Rountree
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2003
            Atlanta is easy to get to, come on down and join us!

            Sophia

          • ewriggs@mindspring.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2003
              Well, it takes the following:
              1) your bishop must mandate (or at the least actively support it)
              2) a parish must sponsor and coordinate it (a lot of $$ and hard work, I can assure you!)
              3) good central location - easy to access, low $$ for travel, motel, etc
              4) excellent speakers (who don't charge you for speaking!) and interesting topics
              5) good food, access to shopping
              6) varied "Church" shops
              7) people to attend (marketing, marketing, marketing)

              And if you decide to have one, contact those who have coordinated them in the past for
              help in getting it off the ground (Larissa Williams at St. Mary's, Sophia Bridges at Our
              Lady - both in the Atlanta - area for starters, but there are many others both in the
              SouthEast and in other parts of the country).

              Although a bookstore or crafts shop may bring in a few $$, don't plan on making major
              $$ off of a conference. When just starting out, you will do well just to break even. After a
              few years, when you have contacts in the transportation, hotel and food industries in
              your area, you may be able to develop some "package deals" and make some $$ for
              your parish. But it depends largely on the work of the planning and implementation
              committee(s). A **lot** of time and energy goes into putting on the Southern Missions
              Conference each year.

              I iterate what Sophia Rountree said - come to the conference this year. See how it is
              handled. Talk to the people from both parishes who have been involved in putting it on
              this year and in the past. Then go back and think about it. Personally, I see no reason
              each Diocese shouldn't have one of these annually. And, if Orthodoxy grows, it might
              someday come down to the point of each state having one.

              These conferences are a wonderful way to meet other Orthodox from outside your
              immediate area. The Southeast conference typically draws attendees from as far away
              Illinois, Pennsylvania, and even Oklahoma and TX.

              So, y'all come on down hyear and see us, y'hear?!

              Love in Christ,
              Elizabeth, the sinner
              and Perennial Student