Re: (unknown)

  • Nikita Simmons
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 30, 2003
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, batushka@m... wrote:
      > Brother Isaac,
      >
      > what then of the singing of "Dostoyno Yest" in the tone of the week
      at Sunday Divine Liturgy ? is this also an older practice ? I note
      that it appears in the daily cycle, but then not on Sunday. Is it
      similar to the introduction of concert pieces for other immovable
      parts of Liturgy or Vigil ?

      > thank you, Fr. Basil

      Dear Fr. Basil,

      There are Great Znamenny Chant settings of Dostoino yest' in all 8
      Tones dating back to the 16th century in Russia. The common Old Rite
      practice is to use these for usual Sundays, while the Put' chant
      melody (not in any given Tone) is used for weekday Liturgies. For
      feasts we have the Demestvenny Chant version (also not in any
      particular Tone), or we can sing one of the settings from the medieval
      monastic communities that had their own unique melodies (such as the
      Solovetsky monastery and the St. Cyril of While Lake monastery); these
      melodies are found in the pre-Nikonian Obikhod as circulated in
      northern Russia.

      Nikita
    • S. Miller
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 25 5:13 AM
        All days have antiphons in the Studite Typikon; the Psalms & the Beatitudes came in w/thye Sabbaitic Typikon.

        The special ones for this feast are:

        1. Ps. 91:1 ff. w/Through the prayers....
        2. Ps. 92:1 ff. w/Son of God, carried in the arms...
        3. Ps. 94:1 ff. w/tropar of the Feast

        Entrance verse as in current Typikon

        frS