Re: "Rejoice, O Life-giving Cross"

  • Nikita Simmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Dear Genevieve,

      Many of the Special Melodies have a specific number of phrases, but
      there are some which do not. Stichera using the melody "Rejoice" can
      have any number of phrases, and it is sung just like the generic
      formulas used for the standard 8 Tones. The concluding phrases is sung
      following whatever phrase it follows, and it does not necessarily have
      to be phrase 1.

      One thing that is helpful for the chanters: If the book you are
      singing from contains asterisks in the printed text, there should be
      no ambiguity about the phrasing and how to structure the melody. But
      if you are singing from a text that does not include asterisks to
      determine the phrases, then it is a big help for a choir director to
      add slashes (/) between the phrases (using a pencil, not a pen); and
      of course you will want to prepare this material before the services
      start. If you want to have a consistent number of phrases for each of
      the stichera, then here is your chance to do this.

      In XC,
      Nikita

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Genevieve Park" <gpark@e...> wrote:
      > Dear ustav,
      >
      > We have a question about the Tone V special melody "Rejoice...": Is
      there a rule for the standard number of phrases the melody should
      have? In other words, does the concluding phrase always come after the
      phrase 1 of the melody, or can it vary?

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        Marking the text with slashes also provides an opportunity to guard
        against illogical divisions of the text. When the cantor has to
        decide as he sings where to break phrases, the result can be
        ridiculous; it can even,in some cases, express a heresy. So it's a
        good idea to mark the text in this way and take care while doing it.

        Stephen