Between Ascension and Pentecost

  • Margaret Lark
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
      Christ is risen! Truly He is risen!

      Another "Ustav 101" question: It suddenly occurred to me that I have no idea what prayer is said after Ascension and before Pentecost. We can't sing "Christ is risen," but neither do we sing, "Heavenly King." I'm drawing a blank here -- would someone mind filling it in? Thank you!

      In Christ,
      Margaret Lark, feeling her age

    • Ilkka Soini
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
        I suppose you mean the opening prayers...

        After the blessing by the priest we simply start "Holy God..."

        Pavel Soini
        MD
        Finland

      • Isaac E. Lambertsen
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
          Dear Margaret,

          Christ is risen!

          Any service (e.g., Third Hour, Ninth Hour) which would ordinarily begin
          "Amen. O heavenly King...", or during Paschaltide, "Amen. Christ is
          risen...", would, between Ascension and Pentecost, begin "Amen. Holy God,
          holy Mighty, holy Immortal..."

          Hope this helps,

          Isaac Lambertsen

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003

            I suppose the midnight office of the Great and Holy Saturday (before
            Pachcal mattins) also starts this way i.e. without "O heavenly King"...
            Does anyone know why this prayer is omitted here, too?

            Pavel Soini
            MD
            Finland
          • Fr. David Straut
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
              Dear Ilkka,

              Christ is risen!

              As far as I know, in both Russian and Greek practice, 'O Heavenly King..."
              *is* said at the beginning of Midnight Office on the night of Holy Saturday
              to Holy Pascha. It is the last time we say it until the Vespers of
              Pentecost.

              Priest David Straut
              Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr
              Somerville, New Jersey

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
                BoucmuHHy Bockpece!!!
                Father, bless!!!

                The Russian / Slavonic Typikon says: "I abie blagoslovivschu iereju,
                glagolem trisvyatoje, i po...".

                No mention is made here about the prayer "O Heavenly King..." (BUT this
                prayer *is* mentioned at the beginning of vespers on the very same
                day!). Our book in Finnish also follows these rubrics. Any comments?

                Pavel Soini
                MD
                Vantaa

              • Fr. David Straut
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
                  Dear Ilkka,

                  Christ is risen!

                  I can't speak about the Typikon because I don't have access to it, but the
                  Paschal Service Book printed (in English) at Holy Trinity Monastery in
                  Jordanville prints "O Heavenly King..." at the beginning of the Midnight
                  Office. And a Greek Liturgikon I have also specifically mentions it.

                  Perhaps Isaac Lambertsen, Daniel Olson, Peter Fekula, or the other
                  liturgical experts could comment on this.

                  Priest David Straut
                  Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr
                  Somerville, New Jersey

                  The Russian / Slavonic Typikon says: "I abie blagoslovivschu iereju,
                  glagolem trisvyatoje, i po...".

                  No mention is made here about the prayer "O Heavenly King..." (BUT this
                  prayer *is* mentioned at the beginning of vespers on the very same
                  day!). Our book in Finnish also follows these rubrics. Any comments?

                  Pavel Soini
                  MD
                  Vantaa

                • Isaac E. Lambertsen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
                    Dear Pavel,

                    Christ is risen!

                    I took the chance to glance at the Typicon this evening. The only mention I
                    was able to find of this matter was in the rescription for Little Vespers of
                    the feast of the Ascension, where the following instruction is provided:

                    "On Wednesday evening we read the three-psalm form of the Ninth Hour, at the
                    beginning of which the Reader recites the Trisagion [i.e., "Holy God,..."].
                    This is so until Pentecost Sunday, at each of the chanted [services] of the
                    Church. I looked for, but could not find, the reference you cited, viz.:
                    "The Russian/Slavonic Typikon says: 'I abie blagoslovivschu iereju, glagolem
                    trisvyatoje, i po...' No mention is made here about the prayer "O Heavenly
                    King... (BUT this prayer *is* mentioned at the beginning of vespers on the
                    very same day!)."

                    Could you provide more detailed instructions on where exactly these words
                    are to be found in the Slavonic books?

                    Thanks for your trouble,

                    Sincerely,

                    Isaac Lambertsen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
                      Christ is risen!

                      Father, bless!

                      I don't want to put myself in the league of the experts you mention,
                      but let me make an observation on which they may wish to comment. If
                      we ask, When exactly does Pascha begin? we may not get a single
                      answer. The Vesperal Liturgy of Saint Basil on Holy Saturday is
                      clearly already a Paschal service. The priests change from dark
                      lenten vestments to bright paschal ones, and the paraments are
                      likewise changed, during the verses from Psalm 81 that are sung
                      before the Gospel. These verses themselves refer to the harrowing of
                      Hades, and belong to the themes of Holy Saturday, but the Gospel is
                      chapter 28 of Matthew, already Paschal.

                      But this transition is in a sense replicated at the beginning of
                      Mattins, with the reading of Mark 16:1-8, followed by the opening
                      Trinitarian doxology and the first singing of the Paschal troparion.

                      This bination has to do with the baptisms, certainly. Vespers of
                      Holy Saturday begins before any Paschal Gospel has been read, and one
                      would expect "Heavenly King" there. The Midnight office comes
                      between the two Gospels, so there is some logic to omitting it and
                      also some to including it. Is this perhaps what is behind the
                      apparent disagreement?

                      Stephen

                      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. David Straut" <fr.straut@v...>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
                        Indeed he is risen!

                        Father, bless!

                        Now, I have no wish to place myself in the league of the experts you
                        mention, but permit me to make an observation on which they may care
                        to comment.

                        If I understand the thread (or threads: somehow the initial thread
                        has been split in two), the issue is that some authorities
                        prescribe "Heavenly King" for the beginning of the Midnight Office
                        preceding the Mattins of Pascha, whereas others do not and appear to
                        intend that it be omitted, as is done through Paschaltide. In
                        contrast, there appears to be agreement that it is to be said at the
                        beginning of Vespers on Holy Saturday.

                        If we ask, When exactly does Pascha begin? we may not arrive at a
                        simple or single answer. On one hand, the celebration of the feast
                        begins in the Vesperal Liturgy of St Basil on Holy Saturday. The
                        Trisagion is replaced by "As many as are baptized," and the Apostle
                        is Romans 6: 3-11, about dying and rising with Christ. Before the
                        Gospel, rather than Alleluia, the Responsory from Psalm 81 is sung,
                        referring to the Harrowing of Hades, a theme of Holy Saturday. But
                        while this is being sung, the clergy change from dark Lenten
                        vestments to bright Paschal ones and the paraments are likewise
                        changed. The Gospel is Matthew 28, so the Resurrection is
                        proclaimed.

                        On the other hand, this beginning is in a way replicated at the
                        beginning of Mattins, when the lights are extinguished and everyone
                        (except the Lamplighter) goes in procession to the narthex. There
                        another Gospel of the Resurrection, Mark 16:1-8, is read, and the
                        Paschal troparion is sung for the first time. That Pascha begins
                        here is reinforced by the more recent ceremonies of Psalm 23,
                        knocking on the door, and so on.

                        It is no doubt the baptisms that have caused there to be two
                        beginnings of Pascha. In any case, Vespers of Holy Saturday begins
                        before any Paschal Gospel has been read, and therefore should
                        include "Heavenly King." The Midnight Hour, however, is betwixt and
                        between, so there would be some logic for including "Heavenly King"
                        and some for omitting it. Is this perhaps why authorities appear to
                        differ?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003

                          Risen indeed!!
                          Sorry for causing trouble :-))

                          These words are to be found at the midnight office of the Great and Holy
                          Saturday (at the beginning or immediately before the matins of
                          Resurrection.

                          I'm just wondering why "Tsarju nebesnyi..." is omitted here (in exactly
                          the same way as between the 40th and 50th days after Pascha but before
                          we sing Khristos voskrese).

                          br Pavel
                          Finland
                        • Margaret Lark
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                            Christ is risen! Truly He is risen!

                            Just wanted to interject a quick "thank you" to all who responded to my original question. When I see things like this, I think that maybe "Ustav 101" is too advanced a description for the kinds of questions I ask! Maybe "Ustav Pre-Kindergarten"??? ;-)

[...]

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Sergius Miller
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Ilkka Soini" <isoini@k...> wrote:
> [...]

                              Christ is risen!

                              Dear Pavel,
                              Let me see what kind of curve ball I can pitch into this. I suggest
                              that the wording of the direction in both the Triod Postnaya and the
                              Typicon, though worded slightly differently in the latter, expects
                              the omission of "O Heavenly King..." at the Midnight Office before
                              Paschal Matins. I also suggest that this is because we've already
                              read the Gospel of the Resurrection. Yes, I know, the Plashchanitsa
                              is still in the center of the church in Russian usage. In the Greek
                              usage it was taken back into the altar after the procession in Great
                              Saturday Matins. Nikolsky, or is it Bulgakov, mentions that at the
                              monastery of the New Jerusalem outside Moscow, the Plashchanitsa was
                              taken back in during the Little Entrance of Holy Saturday Vespers/St.
                              Basil Liturgy just before the readings which conclude w/the
                              Resurrection Gospel of St. Matthew. This has always struck me as a
                              better time for the return to the altar than either the Russian or
                              the Greek usage. Sorry, I digress.

                              In XC,
                              Sergius
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                                Christ is risen!

                                Why, Margaret, you ask questions that spark threads with very
                                interesting and learned discussions. From the response, you can see
                                that the original question was a good one. Please don't stop!

                                Stephen

                                Service.

                              • Daniel Olson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                                  on 6/2/03 Pavel Soini wrote:

                                  > The Russian / Slavonic Typikon says: "I abie blagoslovivschu iereju,
                                  > glagolem trisvyatoje, i po...".
                                  >
                                  > No mention is made here about the prayer "O Heavenly King..." (BUT this
                                  > prayer *is* mentioned at the beginning of vespers on the very same
                                  > day!). Our book in Finnish also follows these rubrics. Any comments?

                                  For the beginning of the Midnight Office on Pascha, the Slavonic Lenten
                                  Triodion says "When the priest has given the blessing, we begin the
                                  Trisagion and the rest."

                                  Rosanov, in his "Liturgical Typicon of the Orthodox Church," says "...the
                                  Midnight Office is performed in this order: 'Blessed is our God... Amen.
                                  Trisagion. All-holy Trinity... Our Father..." and so forth.

                                  Nikol'sky, in his "Aid to the Study of the Litugical Typicon of the Orthodox
                                  Church," provides the same order as Rosanov.

                                  The Moscow Patriarchate's "Liturgical Instructions" specifically says that
                                  at the beginning of the Midnight office on Pascha the Trisagion is not said
                                  but immediately after the priests exclamation ("Blessed is our God...") the
                                  reader says "Amen, the Trisagion and the rest."

                                  The implication of the omission of "O heavenly King..." from the beginning
                                  of the Midnight Office on Pascha is that this is already considered by the
                                  Typicon to be Paschal service, notwithstanding the fact that the rubric
                                  itself is found in the Lenten Triodion section.

                                  Of additional interest is the fact that the Greek "Triodion" also omits "O
                                  heavenly King..." from the beginning of the Midnight Office on Pascha.

                                  It should be noted, however, that the use of "O heavenly King..." at the
                                  beginning of the Midnight Office on Pascha is to be found in certain
                                  sources. For example, it is prescribed in the English-language "Lenten
                                  Triodion" and also in the Calendar published by Holy Trinity Monastery in
                                  Jordanville.

                                  Daniel Olson