Re: A Request

  • Nikita
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
      > JRS: It appears as if this Latin version may be based on the pre-
      > Niconian (Old Rite) text:
      >
      > Hristos voskrese iz mertvykh,
      > Smertiju smert' nastupi,
      > I grobnym zhivot darova.

      Just a slight correction for those who may want to actually use the text:

      Hristos voskrese iz mertvykh,
      smertiju NA smert' nastupi,
      i grobnym zhivot darova.

      The accent on the second line is on the preposition NA, while the word
      smert' which follows has no accent. (We have a lot of displaced
      accents in the Old Rite, due to accented prepositions, a feature that
      was eliminated from the New Rite Slavonic.)

      Nikita
    • Nikita
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_r1937" <stephen.r@l...> wrote:
        > In Western Rus' the Liturgy of St Basil is provided with anaphora
        > chants much more melismatic than those of the Chrysostom Liturgy;
        > they are found in the standard collections (Bokshai for Sub-
        > Carpathian Rus', Dol'nyts'kyi for Galicia). "In thee rejoiceth" is
        > sung to an equally melismatic chant, and the repetition, at the end
        > of the piece, of the opening sentence, with the concluding "Glory to
        > thee," provides also the melody for "I vs'ikh i vsia." Thus the
        > needs of the priest are met.
        >
        > Stephen

        It is the same for the Old Rite. Our chant books provide special
        melodies in Great Znamenny chant and in Demestvenny chant. Here in
        Oregon we usually sing the elaborate (and quite difficult to sing)
        Demestvenny melodies for the Sundays of Lent. I would say that we are
        right on time with the priest.

        Nikita