Re: [ustav] Diaconal rubrics for kamilavka

  • JAPROTO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
      In a message dated 2/25/03 12:49:10 AM, nikolaibr@... writes:

      > Dear friends, it is my understanding that the deacon who is not a
      > protodeacon has the right to wear the kamilavka during services just
      > as the protodeacon except the deacon is to wear a black kamilavka
      > compared to the protodeacon's purple.
      >
      > Any comments?  I have found some confusion in various sources
      > regarding this practice and have seen much variation in this practice
      > (most deacons who are not protodeacons have uncovered heads that I
      > have seen).  I am approaching diaconal ordination and want to be
      > informed of the proper practices.  I am aware of the single orarion
      > usage for deacons simply hung over the left shoulder versus the
      > double orarion looped underneath the right shoulder for protodeacons
      > in the Russian usage.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

      I have not seen or heard of this practice of deacons being permitted to wear
      kamilavka. I believe I once saw a picture of deacon in a Greek Orthodox
      Athonite monestary environt wearing a black kamilaavka while in liturgical
      garments. I would suggest you follow the standard practice in your diocese.
      Ask your bishop.

      In my diocese (NYNJ,OCA) our Archbishop does not permit his deacons to use
      the Greek style orar as it too closely resembles the protodeacon's in his
      opinion - deacons serve with uncovered heads.

      Again, I suggest you communicate with your diocesean bishop.

      In Christ,
      Deacon John