Question on the Troparion for the Forefeast of Theophany

  • mary_of_egypt <mary_of_egypt@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
      Can anyone tell me what or who "Zebulon" and "Nephthali" are in the
      troparion of the Forefeast of Theophany?
    • Sergius Miller <srbmillerr@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
        These are thenames of two of Jacob's sons and, therefore, names of
        two of the tribes of Israel.

        In XC,
        Sergius Miller

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "mary_of_egypt <mary_of_egypt@y...>"
      • chantermt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
          mary_of_egypt@... writes:

          > Can anyone tell me what or who "Zebulon" and "Nephthali" are in the
          > troparion of the Forefeast of Theophany?

          Christ is born! Glorify Him!

          The names of Zebulon and Napthali are included in the prefestive Theophany
          Troparion because of the reference to Galilee in the book of the prophet
          Isaiah, which is quoted in the Gospel for the Sunday after Epiphany:

          "Land of Zebulon, and Land of Napthali toward the lake--Gailee of the
          Gentiles!
          The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light!
          Indeed, light has dawned for those who dwelt in the region under the shadow
          of death."

          (Prof.) J. Michael Thompson
          Byzantine Catholic Seminary
          Pittsburgh, PA

        • fool4chr <frjohnmcc@msn.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
            Additionally, Zebulon is a son of Jacob and Leah; while Naphtali is a
            son of Jacob and Rachel. Thus, the reference to the lands of Zebulon
            and Naphtali are "homelands" for two of the twelve tribes of Israel
            (Jacob).

            Your unworhy servant in Christ,
            Fr. John McCuen
            Holy Archangels Orthodox Church