[ustav] Re: Prayers for those who are suffering

  • spasi@erols.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 1999
      ok, Thou, still working on it, have to use something every day

      Priest Seraphim Holland wrote:

      > Priest Seraphim Holland wrote:
      >
      > > Anyone know how this prayer SHOULD be? It seems to be a
      >
      > THIS ANSWER:
      >
      > Let us especially pray to God, the Savior of all people, on behalf of
      > all the suffering peoples of Yugoslavia and Macedonia, both our
      > Orthodox brethren and sisters and their neighbors, for their
      > salvation and the preservation of their holy places, and for the
      > lives and well being of all peoples in the regions of Kosovo,
      > Macedonia, Serbia, and Montenegro. Let no one who
      > Thou hast
      > ^^^^^^^^^^^
      > created be wasted that all might come to call upon Thy Holy Name
      > in peace.
      >
      > CANNOT BE THE SAME PRAYER I was referring to. It is an
      > entirely new prayer. Also, according to grammar rules which I
      > barely understand, should not the marked text, above be "Thou
      > hast"?
      >
      > Here is the whole petition, with the typo marked.
      >
      > Again let us pray to God, the Savior of all men, also
      > for our enemies-that our people Lord who loves mankind
      > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      > will turn them away from attacks on our Orthodox
      > people, that they not destroy our churches and
      > cemeteries, that they not kill our children or
      > persecute our people, but that they too may turn to the
      > way of repentance, justice and salvation. Let us all
      > fervently say: Lord have mercy".
      >
      > Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
      > E-mail: seraphim@... Phone: 972/529-2754 FAX: 603/908-2408
      > Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
      > WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
      > Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
      > 10 questions (many subjects) | http://www.orthodox.net/questions
      > Thoughts on the Sunday gospels | http://www.orthodox.net/sermons

      > eGroups Spotlight:
      > "Kosovo-Reports" - Direct reports from Kosovo/Serbia/Yugoslavia.
      > http://offers.egroups.com/click/252/0
      >
      > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
    • Dan Swires
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 1999
        > > Let us especially pray to God, the Savior of all people, on behalf of
        > > all the suffering peoples of Yugoslavia and Macedonia, both our
        > > Orthodox brethren and sisters and their neighbors, for their
        > > salvation and the preservation of their holy places, and for the
        > > lives and well being of all peoples in the regions of Kosovo,
        > > Macedonia, Serbia, and Montenegro. Let no one who
        > > Thou hast
        > > ^^^^^^^^^^^
        > > created be wasted that all might come to call upon Thy Holy Name
        > > in peace.

        Actually, whether one uses Modern English or Older English, it would
        be correct to say:
        "Let no one whom..."
        rather than "Let no one who..."
        BTWDIK?
        unworthy Dn. Daniel

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 1999
          Dan Swires wrote:

          > > > Let us especially pray to God, the Savior of all people, on behalf of
          > > > all the suffering peoples of Yugoslavia and Macedonia, both our
          > > > Orthodox brethren and sisters and their neighbors, for their
          > > > salvation and the preservation of their holy places, and for the
          > > > lives and well being of all peoples in the regions of Kosovo,
          > > > Macedonia, Serbia, and Montenegro. Let no one who
          > > > Thou hast
          > > > ^^^^^^^^^^^
          > > > created be wasted that all might come to call upon Thy Holy Name
          > > > in peace.
          > > >

          > Actually, whether one uses Modern English or Older English, it would
          > be correct to say:
          > "Let no one whom..."
          > rather than "Let no one who..."
          > BTWDIK?
          > unworthy Dn. Daniel

          Aha, yes, WHO would be the object, and therefore should be WHOM.

          THe last sentence revision should therefore be:

          "Let no one whom Thou hast created be wasted, that in peace all might come to
          call upon Thy Holy Name."

          In this part of the prayer i wanted somehow to give the idea that not only is
          every person created by God in his image (althought the image is not
          expressed) but also whoever we might have judged and killed is no longer in a
          position to become Christian and praise God. Additionally, i wished to
          suggest that killing is a waste of potential and a judgement upon God Himself
          as any hurt we do to uor fellow humans is like slapping God in His face as we
          are made in his image and likeness.

          What does BTWDIK mean. I am assuming by the way did for the first four but
          cannot srmise the last two letters in the acronym.

          Galina

        • Matanna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 1999
            >What does BTWDIK mean<

            But then, what do I know?

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
          • Bonita6006@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 1999
              thanks for sending the prayer, can't help you with the acronym although i
              surmise the first part means "by the way.."

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 1999
                > Aha, yes, WHO would be the object, and therefore should be WHOM.
                >
                > THe last sentence revision should therefore be:
                >
                > "Let no one whom Thou hast created be wasted, that in peace all might come
                > call upon Thy Holy Name."
                >
                > In this part of the prayer i wanted somehow to give the idea that not only
                is
                > every person created by God in his image (althought the image is not
                > expressed) but also whoever we might have judged and killed is no longer
                in a
                > position to become Christian and praise God. Additionally, i wished to
                > suggest that killing is a waste of potential and a judgement upon God
                Himself
                > as any hurt we do to uor fellow humans is like slapping God in His face as
                we
                > are made in his image and likeness.
                >
                > What does BTWDIK mean. I am assuming by the way did for the first four
                but
                > cannot srmise the last two letters in the acronym.

                It means "But then what do I know?"
                unworthy Deacon Daniel

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav