Re: [ustav] Re: Ustav 101 -- A Question

  • Margaret Lark
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      From: "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
      Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 04:04:38 -0000

      First, my sincere thanks to all who wrote me about this. St. Sergius is very dear to my heart, and I would hate to think I was singing the "short form" when the one I saw was the preferred version.

      >Meg, you found the special version on the web site's category "Music
      >for Feasts". There aren't MANY things from services for saints under
      >this category for now, but St. Sergius is there because the second
      >church within the Synod headquarters building happens to be
      >dedicated to St. Sergius, and the Synod choir always sings this
      >service, so... music has been prepared for it...

      Actually, I got that when I typed "St. Sergius of Radonezh" into a Google search, and came up with the Synodal website, which included this particular tropar.

      >I'm afraid this is a case where knowing Russian would be a help: the
      >score you have indicates the source of the melody on top, in Russian
      >only. BUT, it's also listed as the title's file on the web site, in
      >English... you must have not noticed or forgotten...

      It's such a wealth of information, I probably *didn't* notice it. And I'm continuing with my Russian courses, so bit by bit, we'll get there. ;-)

      >As for the rule for church vs. the rule for home, they say an
      >Orthodox household is likened unto a church: why shouldn't what's
      >good in God's house be good in your house? ;-)

      Oh, thank you! Despite those 11 years in the GOA, ROCOR is a whole new world to me (it also helps to have grown children, so the time is available to learn this stuff).

      >Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I have been on the road...

      Not a problem, I've been kinda snowed myself....

      Again, thanks to all. This discussion has helped my understanding greatly.

      In Christ,
      Margaret Lark, sinner

      --
      Glory to God for all things!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        Dear ustav members,

        Forgive me for interrunpting.

        Two days ago I established a list on yahoogroups that I hope will bring
        Roman Catholic faithful and Orthodox Catholic faithful into closer
        proximity without the ubiquitous flame wars or triumphalism that instantly
        destroys anything of any good that might have been. For the past five
        years I have, in reality and in virtual reality, been blessed by my time
        spent in close proximity to Orthodox faithful, Orthodox liturgy and
        Orthodox spirituality. Through Irenikon, I seek to share the fruits of
        that experience.

        It is not a place of false ecumenism, and though I cannot stifle all
        suggestions of the possibilities of communion, I also would not stop any
        suggestion to the contrary. What I hope to do is allow the messages to be
        delivered peacefully, and then perhaps find a place where we can stand
        united in the Christ's love and mercy, if not united in communion and
        belief and practice.

        I have announced the list among Orthodox faithful first in the hopes of
        building a core of strong Orthodox voices, lay and clergy, so that those
        who would come and seek to build a false ecumenism do not rule the day. It
        is in that spirit that I offer this announcement....mary

        New Discussion List

        Irenikon is for the purpose of fostering dialogue, good will and community
        among Orthodox Catholics and eastern and western rite Catholics in
        communion with the Holy See.