More about lagonon

  • hermitage@infoave.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2002
      Several weeks ago the subject of the association of the greek " lagonon"
      with the Saviour's birth was raised (under the topic heading: 9th Ode of the
      Transfiguration Canon.)

      Since then, I have been on the lookout for this word in the liturgical texts.

      Today's canon to the Forerunner contains this word (in a slightly different
      form) with reference to the Baptist.

      23. Sept. Matins, Ode 8, Troparion 1:
      "...nun lagosin ektrefetai..."
      in one translation rendered "...now nourished by the loins..."

      It is likely that other instances of the word's use can be discovered in the
      service texts---though, as I said in an earlier post---it is not found in
      the LXX or the greek NT.

      I found this passage, while doing Matins in english one morning:
      Tone 1, Wednesday Matins, Ode 5, Troparion 2
      "...Your side was pierced, transfixed by a lance,so healing Adam's wound,
      which he suffered when he obeyed his side and disobeyed his Maker."

      As it turned out, the word for side here was *not* lagon, but instead (the
      usual) pleura in both cases; however there is something curious (to me) in
      the metaphor. (Perhaps the slavonic is less ambiguous.)

      Some references give lago* and pleur* as almost synonyms: mayhaps the
      nearness in meaning, accentuating the individual nuances of each, educed
      varying specific (rather than "casual") usages by our Hymnographers?

      In Christ,
      John, monk
    • hermitage@infoave.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2002
        In answer to myself:

        At 11:46 AM 10/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:

        >It is likely that other instances of the word's use can be discovered in the
        >service texts---though, as I said in an earlier post---it is not found in
        >the LXX or the greek NT.

        I just now found an instance of lagonas at Sirach 47:19.

        ...19 Thou didst bow thy loins unto women, and by thy body thou wast
        brought into subjection. (Oxford trans. 1769)

        j, m