[ustav] Re: During the Priest's Communio

  • Malcolm Jenner
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 1998
      At 15:19 30/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
      >I agree with Peter and Daniel. The only place I have seen a collection of
      >all the Communion Hymns with melismatic melodies is in the square-note
      >Slavonic obikhod for Divine Liturgy, reprinted by Vladyka Vitaly in Montreal
      >a few years ago. However, I am not musician enough to attempt their
      >arrangement in English. It would be a great project for someone to do this,
      >then record them for those of us who are musically challenged.

      Can someone please inform us as to where one might obtain a copy of this
      work? I have done a provisional arrangement to English words of the
      melodies for weekdays and Sundays from various versions (both harmonized
      and "square note") that I have available, but I would like to check them
      against other versions before publishing them.

      Archimandrite Kyril Jenner.
    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 1998
        While all of these remedies have something to recommend them, as a priest
        for going on 23 years I feel the question should also be posed as to why
        the celebrant--especially in the absence of a large number of
        clergy--should so prolong the time as to make these remedies necessary. My
        experience has been that the division of the Lamb, the distribution of the
        BOdy and Blood to one priest and deacon, the saying of the presecribed
        prayers before and after the priest's communion, normally can be done
        without hurrying while the choir sings Ps. 33 at a normal rate. The
        blessing of icons, the churching of women and the like, all are
        inappropriate during the Divine Liturgy. Sometimes there may be many
        people for confession, but there is rarely any real justification for
        their making a habit of arriving late so that this cannot be done prior to
        the Divine Liturgy.
        Fr. John R. Shaw

      • David James
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 1998
          The Slavonic "notnii obikhod" (I'm sorry, I don't know the proper title) is
          in two volumes: one for the All-Night Vigil, and the other for the Divine
          Liturgy. It may be obtained from:

          Synod Bookstore
          75 E 93rd St
          New York, NY 10128
          Tel: 212 369-0288
          E-mail: synod@...

          David James
          dmjames@...

        • Serge Keleher
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 1998
            Archimandrite Kyril (Jenner) asks where one might obtain "the square-note
            Slavonic obikhod for Divine Liturgy, reprinted by Vladyka Vitaly in
            Montreal a few years ago." I bought my copy at the bookstore at
            Jordanville; if it's still in print they probably still have it.
            Much of that material, and more besides, was reprinted in a
            square-note Obikhod published at Chevetogne which may also still be in
            print - write to the bookstore at Chevetogne and ask them. They may or may
            not respond to this e-mail address:
            monasterechevetogne@...

            somewhat later Chevetogne also reprinted the square-note music version of
            the Lenten Triodion and the Pentecostarion in one volume.

            (Archimandrite) Serge