Re: [ustav] "St. Aftimios of Brooklyn" (was:The Saints of America)

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
      > I also have another question, I keep hearing of this "St. Aftimios of
      > Brooklyn" does anyone know who this is??
      >
      > Rdr. Nectarios

      Dear Rdr. Nectarios:

      "St Aftimios of Brooklyn" might just be Aftimios Ofeish, who is revered by a
      number of dissident, non-canonical, supposedly 'Orthodox' sects that trace
      their orders and 'Apostolic succession' to him. He was a legitimate bishop
      of the Russian Church in this country, and was entrusted with missionary
      work, but left the church moved to Canada and married a woman much younger
      than himself. He allegedly ordained deacons, priests and bishops, and
      supported himself financially by these acts. At his marriage he was deposed
      by the Russian Church.

      Somewhere there are even icons written of him!

      May God have mercy!

      Reader James Morgan
      Olympia, WA
    • Ploverleigh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        In a message dated 7/31/02 9:13:03 PM, rdrjames@... writes:

        << Dear Rdr. Nectarios:

        "St Aftimios of Brooklyn" might just be Aftimios Ofeish, who is revered by a
        number of dissident, non-canonical, supposedly 'Orthodox' sects that trace
        their orders and 'Apostolic succession' to him. He was a legitimate bishop
        of the Russian Church in this country, and was entrusted with missionary
        work, but left the church moved to Canada and married a woman much younger
        than himself. He allegedly ordained deacons, priests and bishops, and
        supported himself financially by these acts. At his marriage he was deposed
        by the Russian Church. >>

        A bit more to it than that.

        According to my reading, shortly after being made bishop, none of the
        overseas churches would recognize his mission to Americans, and the bishops
        over here sawed the limb out from under him, and refused to have any more to
        do with him.

        My understanding is that it was only AFTER he was cast out by his very
        consecrators that he ceased all active ministry and married a Syrian
        Protestant.

        Whether he was a simoniac I don't know. Shame if he was.
      • Fr. Anthony Nelson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
          Ploverleigh@... wrote:

          >According to my reading, shortly after being made bishop, none of the
          >overseas churches would recognize his mission to Americans, and the bishops
          >over here sawed the limb out from under him, and refused to have any more to
          >do with him.

          Not so. The infighting within the Arab Church in North America was mostly
          at fault.

          >My understanding is that it was only AFTER he was cast out by his very
          >consecrators that he ceased all active ministry and married a Syrian
          >Protestant.

          Even more not so. His widow, in her biography of Aftimios, mentions how
          they first saw each other at the Syrian church in Wilkes-Barre, she a young
          girl sitting in the church.

          Get and read her biography of him...it is a tremendously-self-serving - as
          is obvious to even the most sympathetic reader - but shows Aftimios to have
          been seriously in prelest.

          The Antiochians - to their credit - published an article about him which
          made an attempt to "rehabilitate" him to some degree, but the fact that he
          had a vision for the Church in America was simply overshadowed by his
          actions which were destructive of the Church here.

          Fr. Anthony

          Fr. Anthony Nelson * Emergency Cell Phone Email:
          St. Benedict Orthodox Church (ROCOR) * Up to 160 characters maximum
          Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441 * total allowed including return
          mailto:fr.anthony@... * address and Subject headers.
          http://www.orthodox.org/stbenedict/ * mailto:fra-mobile@...