Re: [ustav] Service to St John

  • asp5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      Father, bless.
      I know that St John of Krondstat Press has the service to St John; I
      purchased it from them a couple of years ago.
      In Christ,
      Anna
    • Philip Silouan Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
        My priest has sent me the text of a service to St John of Shanghai and San
        Francisco to use tonight:
        http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/st_john_service.htm

        I notice that it's a different service from the one in the St John of
        Kronstadt Menaion for June 19.

        Any ideas on why there would be two different services? It's 5pm and Vespers
        is at 6 so I'm not about to change plans. But for next year, is the service
        on Bishop Alexander's site *wrong* for tonight, or is it just a different
        choice from the SJKP folks chose for their Menaion?

        Thanks for any enlightenment :)

        In Christ,

        Silouan Thompson
        St Silouan the Athonite Greek Orthodox Mission
        Walla Walla, Washington USA
      • Fr. John Whiteford
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
          The text on Fr. Alexander's web site was composed by Platina. The
          Akathist was composed by Fr. Seraphim (Rose). The text in the SJOKP
          menaion is a provisional, ROCOR text... the official and final
          version is not complete, but was composed originally by Archbishop
          Anthony of San Francisco. I am not sure who is putting the final
          touches on it.

          The Platina text has a number of nice features to it, particularly
          the way they did the Theotokia of the canon.

          -Fr. John Whiteford

          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Silouan Thompson"
          <himself@p...> wrote:
          > My priest has sent me the text of a service to St John of Shanghai
          and San
          > Francisco to use tonight:
          > http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/st_john_service.htm
          >
          > I notice that it's a different service from the one in the St John
          of
          > Kronstadt Menaion for June 19.
          >
          > Any ideas on why there would be two different services? It's 5pm
          and Vespers
          > is at 6 so I'm not about to change plans. But for next year, is the
          service
          > on Bishop Alexander's site *wrong* for tonight, or is it just a
          different
          > choice from the SJKP folks chose for their Menaion?
          >
          > Thanks for any enlightenment :)
          >
          > In Christ,
          >
          > Silouan Thompson
          > St Silouan the Athonite Greek Orthodox Mission
          > Walla Walla, Washington USA
        • Isaac E. Lambertsen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
            Dear silouan & list members,

            During the actual glorification of St. John of San Francisco, the late
            Archbishop Anthony was still scribbling away, trying to finish his service,
            sending pages up to the choir loft as he finished them. But we had to
            switch to the general Menaion somewhere in the middle of the canon, since
            time overtook the archbishop's energies. His Grace never managed to
            complete things before he reposed in the Lord.

            The text in the SJOK Menaion is a translation of a complete Slavonic service
            composed within the Church of Bulgaria at the time of, or shortly after, the
            glorification. It incorporates several hymns of Archbishop Antony's
            composition, and was widely used throughout the Church Abroad, with
            hierarchal approval, until an official service was printed and made
            available. It was even used, at least partly, at the San Francisco
            Cathedral! It was decided by the Press to include this service in the June
            volume until the Church Abroad came up with a complete service of its own.
            (At the time, no one was confident that the ROCA would actually manage to
            complete its service.)

            Within the past couple of years, a complete service, in Slavonic, including
            those hymns composed by Archbishop Antony, was printed at Holy Trinity
            Monastery, Jordanville, NY, and is available for purchase from them (unless
            they've allowed their print-run to be depleted). I have translated this,
            and when the June volume of the SJOK Menaion is reprinted, it will either
            replace the Bulgarian service or be inserted before it as a complement to
            it.

            If Fr. John Whiteford is correct in asserting that the service which appears
            on Bishop Alexander's website originated at the Platina skete, it should be
            known that that text has never been aurhorized for use within the Church
            Abroad.

            Those who desire a copy of the English translation of the authorized service
            to St.John may contact me OFF LIST, and I will send it to them as an
            attachment. Sorry this offer comes too late to be a use this year.

            Sincerely,

            Isaac Lambertsen