Re: [ustav] Church consecration services...

  • Timothy Hojnicki
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
      Dear Photini,

      Christ is Risen!

      I'm not sure where I read it, but i believe that a consecrated church needs
      to be destroyed and nothing built there again, if the parish moves. How
      often this is done I don't know. The whole idea of the church and its
      property being sanctified ties in here. Makes an interesting arguement for
      parishes that have carnivals and amusement park rides on the grounds. We had
      our original church site (a converted row home in the city) razed in 1949
      and the second edifice built on top of it. When the neighborhood got bad, we
      then moved to a 6 acre site where the present church stands. Neither of the
      previous 2 structures had been consecrated, only having a lesser blessing
      serivce performed. All we did was remove the 3 bar cross off the top. I
      assume there was somekind of leaving service, lets face it, we Orthodox have
      a service for EVERYTHING! (and rightly so!) Its eery to drive by another
      Ukrainian Catholic Church that was in the same neighborhood and still see
      the domes with crosses on it, and read "Apostolic House of Prayer, Inc." on
      the front. <shrugs> what can you do? :)

      Our parish was consecrated in October of 1996, and there is no doubt after
      its done that it was holy. The service is amazing. From construsting the
      altar to not lighting anything in the church until almost the end of the
      service. Its really neat. I think the most awesome moment is when the
      priests (we had 1 (Arch)bishop and 3 priests) hammer in wooden pegs with
      stones. Immediately I thought of Christ being nailed to the cross and got
      chills. Ill never forget that moment. The relics, procession,
      annointing...just a great experience. We have service books left over of it.
      If you email me privately, I could mail you one.

      In Christ,

      Timothy