Re: Paschal Sunday Vespers

  • Daniel Olson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2002
      on 5/7/02 11:31 AM, Reader Gennady wrote:

      > A belated query: This year's Liturgical Calendar issued by the St John of
      > Kronstadt Press instructs to insert into the festal Vespers service on
      > Paschal Sunday the elements from the service to GM George (stichera on
      > "Lord I have cried" and even the readings). There seems to be no
      > confirmation of this in the Typicon or in the Holy Trinity Monastery at
      > Jordanville calendar. I understand that the service is technically for
      > Monday, yet I thought that, it being served in the mid-afternoon, the
      > Paschal celebration, as a trans-calendaric event, would supersede and
      > subsume any calendar coincidence with the memory even of such a great saint
      > and martyr.

      The entry in the "Liturgical Calendar, 2002" published by the St. John of
      Kronstadt Press, follows the instructions given in the Slavonic Typicon.
      The following are pertinent passages from the Typicon in this regard:

      "Direction concerning the Great Martyr George: It [i.e., the commemoration]
      begins from the day of Great Friday and extends until Thursday of the 5th
      week of Pascha. And if [the commemoration] of the Great-martyr George
      occurs on Great Friday, or on Great Saturday, or on Pascha itself, the
      stichera of the saint, and the canon, and the rest of the service, are sung
      on Monday of Bright Week, with the service of the day.

      "If [the commemoration] of the Great-martyr George occurs on one of the days
      of Bright Week. On the eve, at 'Lord, I have cried...,' [we sing] 3 stichera
      of the resurrection, and 3 of the saint. 'Glory...,' [doxasticon] of the
      saint, tone 6: 'Thou didst live...' 'Both now...,' first theotokion [i.e.,
      the dogmaticon] of the tone [of the day]. 'O gladsome Light...' [Great]
      prokeimeon of the day. And 3 readings of the saint. If it is the evening of
      the very Sunday of Pascha, the priest says: 'And that we may be accounted
      worthy of the hearing of the holy Gospel...' and the rest. And the Gospel is
      read according the [set] order. At the Aposticha, [we sing] the
      resurrectional sticheron, then the stichera of Pascha with their verses.
      'Glory...,' [doxasticon] of the saint, Tone 4: 'O brethren, let is
      spiritually praise...' 'Both now...' [the sticheron] of Pascha, Tone 5: 'It
      is the day of resurrection...' 'Christ is risen...,' thrice. 'Glory...,'
      troparion of the saint. 'Both now...,' first theotokion of the tone [i.e.,
      of the day]. Priest: 'Wisdom!' and the dismissal."

      The above directions specifically provide for the inclusion of the elements
      of the service to Great-martyr George in the Vespers on Pascha, as can be
      seen from the mention of the reading of the Gospel, which only occurs at
      Vespers on Pascha evening.

      These same instructions were also provided in the "Liturgical Directions for
      2002" published by the Moscow Patriarchate.

      Daniel Olson
    • Daniel Olson
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2002
        on 5/7/02 2:25 PM, Fr. Martin wrote wrote:

        > It seems to me that Pascha is one of those few days which supercedes the
        > normal order of services, and that the agape vespers is unique to the day.
        > Since Pascha is the Feast of Feast I cannot imagine another feast being
        > inserted or stealing some of the "spot light" so to speak.

        As I indicated in my reply to Reader Gennady's post, the Typicon does
        provide for the inclusion of the litugical material for the Great-martyr
        George in the Vespers of Pascha.

        The commemoration of St. Geroge is not the only such occurrence. According
        to the Typicon, if the feast of a church's patron saint falls on Bright
        Monday, the same provisions that apply to the commemoration of St. George
        apply to the commemoration of the patron saint.

        Finally, if the Annunciation falls on Bright Monday, then a large amount of
        liturgical material from that great feast is also included in Vespers on
        Pascha.

        While, as a general rule Vespers on Pascha is devoted exclusively to the
        celebration of the resurrection, the Typicon does indeed mention certain
        exceptions, as indicated above.

        Daniel Olson
      • Stephen Leida
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2002
          Christ is risen!

          Could someone direct me to a place where I might obtain a Greek Typicon book?

          Stephen, Reader

          Stephen Leida
          Director of Information Services
          Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa, USA
          712 274-5423
        • Peter Fekula
          Message 4 of 10 , May 7, 2002
            In fact, the second day of Pascha (including Vespers of the Sunday of Pascha) can be combined with other commemorations according to the Typicon. Along with the commemoration of St. George, the Annunciation and the feast of a Temple fit into this category. In the Typicon there is a specific mention of the Gospel reading at Paschal Vespers being preceded by the 3 readings for St. George that indicate that combining these services is appropriate.

            It would be wrong to ignore these rubrics, at least for those who follow the Russian Typicon.

            Peter Fekula