Re: [ustav] Choir settings

  • hermitage@infoave.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1 1:04 AM
      Hi ya,

      At 08:59 PM 11/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
      >In theory this is a good thing, but not for everyone. We had a priest, who
      >did some amazing things at our parish initially, but made a quick descision
      >to do just this... It did more harm than good. We had a crammed choir up in
      >front, people were upset with the move, didn't like the obtrusive setting,
      >etc.

      As for "crammed"---well, if you have enough choirsters, opt for two choirs
      at the front of the nave! If they are attentive, the antiphonal setting
      (which is of course proper) is really quite wonderful. The "stereo" effect,
      with the change of lead voice actually helps the worshippers to maintain
      attention by providing some variation.

      > As a kid I didn't think much of it, but now I laugh to myself seeing
      >the whole choir move when Father would do a great Censing... The Orthodox
      >rendition of 'the wave' or something. :)When he was transfered, the faithful
      >choir carried their things back up to 'its place' with the parish body's
      >support... <shrugs>

      The Choir isn't supposed to move from its place in Liturgy at all, except at
      the Cherbikon/anaphora where the left Choir joins the right, and then
      returns to its place after the Megalynarion. Even the laity's moving during
      the censing, except to make a small pathway for him what censes, is a point
      I have heard "disputed". My vote tends to come down on the side of "No mass
      migrations from one side of the Nave to the other". It's just too
      unnecessarily clamorous, imho.

      In Christ,
      John, monk
    • Timothy Hojnicki
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1 8:59 AM
        >if you have enough choirsters, opt for two choirs at the front of the
        > >nave!

        A boy can dream :) Organization is the key... This would be a glorious
        thing. I have heard antiphonal singing done properly once, and I was really
        impressed. Like the church was breathing or something....back...and
        forth...back....and forth. Really made an impression on me. I always
        wondered why they were called antiphons when it was never done antiphically
        (save having some on key, some off...). When I finally heard it, it made
        sense, and I was sold.

        >Even the laity's moving during the censing, except to make a small >pathway
        >for him what censes, is a point I have heard "disputed". My >vote tends to
        >come down on the side of "No mass migrations from one >side of the Nave to
        >the other". It's just too unnecessarily clamorous, >imho.

        No mass migrations, just the altos would see the robes, and kadillo
        a'swingin, they'd nudge the basses (usually took a few to get them moving)
        who in turn crashed into the tenors, who'd poked the sopranos making for an
        amusing 'shift' to let father go by. Didn't really make a big distraction,
        and after a while they got pretty used to it....besides the basses :)

        In Christ,

        Reader Timothy

      • Margaret Lark
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1 3:05 PM
          From: "Timothy Hojnicki" <thoj@...>
          Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:59:38 -0500

          >>...In our parish, though we have a choir loft, the choir doesn't use it
          >>(This is an easy solution for all those parishes designed with choir
          >>lofts: just because you have one doesn't mean the choir needs to be
          >>there.)...

          >In theory this is a good thing, but not for everyone. We had a priest, who
          >did some amazing things at our parish initially, but made a quick descision
          >to do just this... It did more harm than good. We had a crammed choir up in
          >front, people were upset with the move, didn't like the obtrusive setting,
          >etc...When he was transfered, the faithful
          >choir carried their things back up to 'its place' with the parish body's
          >support... <shrugs> Like I said, not for everyone. It just didn't fit out
          >building, or the people's liking.
          >...I know, personally, when I set up to
          >direct Vespers, and look down on a dark church, with the vigils and lampadas
          >lighting the ikonostas... my soul couldn't feel more apt for prayer!

          You are very blessed, then. In our choir loft, people come and go as they please, and carry on conversations they fondly imagine to be inaudible (I wish) during the Epistle, the Gospel, and the sermon. I've started Liturgy with five singers, and ended up with 15. IMHO, choir lofts are a curse.

          Margaret the sinner

          Glory be to God in all things!
          --
        • pvgol@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1 9:57 PM
            In our choir loft, we have implemented a fine $1.00 "for extraneous
            conversations". The "proceeds" are donated to charity.