Re: [ustav] Vests

  • Margaret Lark
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      From: Ploverleigh@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:08:22 EST

      >In a message dated 10/29/01 6:13:47 PM, frseraphim@... writes:

      ><< I just saw a photo of a married priest from St Petersburg who was wearing
      >a cassock and a monastic vest rather than a riassa. Is this typically
      >allowed? I have often thought, especially when carting my children around
      >town, that a vest would be a whole lot more practical... >>

      >Well, maybe in St. Petersburg.....

      Father, bless! I was trying to think why this rang a bell with me, and it just came to me: there IS a priest in our area who wears a monastic vest over, I believe, his riassa. I should note that he is GOA, but very, very conservative (and very sympathetic to ROCOR!) :-)

      Would you need your Bishop's permission to do this?

      Kissing your right hand,
      Margaret the sinner

      Glory be to God in all things!
    • FRAMASTALSKI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        Yes, the vest is a handy item. It isnot as Father stated a part of the
        monastic habit.A few years back a priest out West was selling them through
        some Synod English magazine.So if you want to, then wear one. One certainly
        need not bother a good Bishop about wearing one unless you bishop does not
        even want you in a cassock ( podryasnik-anteri ) It does not of course go
        over the ryassa( Greek or Russian ) I have seen the vest in different
        lengths but one should avoid being singular!! And like the proverbial horse,
        I have seen them in different colours ( subdued ) I hope this will lay the
        mysterious vest to rest. There you have my two cents! Dress warm and
        practical dear fathers. Love in Christ, Igumen Athanasy

      • Fr. Vasyl Janick
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          Slava Isusu Christu!

          Technically, the vest is not a part of the monastic habit. Underwise went
          one is tonsured one would have received it then. The only items I received
          was the cassock, belt, raissa, veil, and mantyia.

          Tho, I will say the vest is a handy item.

          The unworthy monk, Vasyl