26312OC Choir Cues: 8 Pascha, Feast of Pentecost - 26 May/8 June 2014

    Jun 4, 2014
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies the rubrics for
      the Feast of Pentecost (§4B15 in the Order of Divine Services).

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website: http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/ I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      10/23 June 2013
      8TH SUNDAY OF PASCHA (Tone 7 in the weekly cycle of the Octoechos)
      Feast of Pentecost
      Epistle: Acts 2:1-11 (§3)
      Gospel: John 7:37-52; 8:12 (§27)

      Pentecost. Trinity Sunday. Descent of the Holy Spirit. Apostles of
      the Seventy Carpus and Alphaeus. Martyrs Abercius and Helen.
      Hieromartyr Eleutherius, Pope of Rome. Great-Martyr George the New,
      who suffered under Prince Slim the Turk (1515 - Six-Stichera-rank
      service). Venerable John the Confessor of Constantinople. Martyr
      Alexander of Thessalonica. Finding of the relics of Venerable
      Macarius, Abbot of Kolyazin. Moveable Feast on the Sunday after May
      19: Synaxis of the Martyrs of Chelm and Podlasie, Poland, Tupichevsk.

      HOURS:
      At all Hours: Troparion and Kontakion of Pentecost

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      In place of the usual antiphons, use the festal antiphons:

      FIRST ANTIPHON (Second Tone)

      Stichos 1: The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament
      declareth the work of His hands.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Stichos 2: Day unto day poureth forth speech and night unto night
      proclaimeth knowledge.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Stichos 3: Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth, and their
      words unto the ends of the world.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      SECOND ANTIPHON (Second Tone)

      Stichos 1: The Lord hear thee in the day of affliction; the name of
      the God of Jacob defend thee.
      Refrain: O Good Comforter, save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

      Stichos 2: Let Him send forth unto thee help from His sanctuary, and
      out of Sion let Him help thee.
      Refrain. O Good Comforter, save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

      Stichos 3: The Lord grant thee according to thy heart, and fulfill all
      thy purposes. .
      Refrain: O Good Comforter, save us who sing to Thee: Alleluia.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

      O only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal,/ yet didst
      deign for our salvation/ to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and
      Ever-Virgin Mary,/ and without change didst become man,/ and was
      crucified, O Christ God, trampling down death by death./ Thou Who art
      one of the Holy Trinity,/ glorified with the Father and the Holy
      Spirit,/ save us.

      THIRD ANTIPHON

      Reader: Stichos 1: O Lord, in Thy strength the king shall be glad, and
      in Thy salvation shall he rejoice exceedingly.
      Choir: (Troparion, Tone 8): Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God, / Who
      hast shown forth the fishermen as supremely wise, / by sending down
      upon them the Holy Spirit, / and through them didst draw the world
      into Thy net. // O Lover of mankind, glory be to Thee.

      Stichos 2: The desire of his heart hast Thou granted unto him, and
      hast not denied him the requests of his lips.
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      Stichos 3: Thou wentest before him with the blessings of goodness;
      Thou hast set upon his head a crown of precious stone.
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      LITTLE ENTRANCE

      Be Thou exalted, O Lord, in Thy strength; we will sing and chant of
      Thy mighty acts.

      And immediately after that, the choir sings the Troparion and
      Kontakion of the feast:

      Festal Troparion, Tone 8: Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God, / Who
      hast shown forth the fishermen as supremely wise, / by sending down
      upon them the Holy Spirit, / and through them didst draw the world
      into Thy net. // O Lover of mankind, glory be to Thee.

      Glory... Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 8: Once, when He descended and confounded the
      tongues, / the Most High divided the nations; / and when He divided
      the tongues of fire, / He called all men into unity; // and with one
      accord we glorify the All-Holy Spirit.

      TRISAGION

      As many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Alleluia. (3)
      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Have put on Christ. Alleluia.
      As many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Alleluia.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 8th Tone: Their sound hath gone forth
      into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
      Choir: Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth, and their words
      unto the ends of the world.
      Reader: The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament
      proclaimeth the work of His hands.
      Choir: Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth, and their words
      unto the ends of the world.
      Reader: Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth.
      Choir: And their words unto the ends of the world.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles.

      [Acts 2:1-11, §3]: When the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were
      all with one accord in one place. * And suddenly there came a sound
      from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house
      where they were sitting. * And there appeared unto them cloven tongues
      like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. * And they were all
      filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as
      the Spirit gave them utterance. * And there were dwelling at Jerusalem
      Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. * Now when this
      was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded,
      because that every man heard them speak in his own language. * And
      they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are
      not all these which speak Galilaeans? * And how hear we every man in
      our own tongue, wherein we were born? * Parthians, and Medes, and
      Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and
      Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, * Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt,
      and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews
      and proselytes, * Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our
      tongues the wonderful works of God.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: By the Word of the Lord were the heavens established, and all
      the might of them by the Spirit of His mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The Lord looked down from heaven, He beheld all the sons of men.

      [John 7:37-52; 8:12, §27]: In the last day, that great day of the
      feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come
      unto me, and drink. * He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath
      said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. * (But this
      spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive:
      for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet
      glorified.) * Many of the people therefore, when they heard this
      saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet. * Others said, This is
      the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? * Hath
      not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and
      out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was? * So there was a
      division among the people because of him. * And some of them would
      have taken him; but no man laid hands on him. * Then came the officers
      to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have
      ye not brought him? * The officers answered, Never man spake like this
      man. * Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived? Have
      any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on him? * But this
      people who knoweth not the law are cursed. * Nicodemus saith unto
      them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them,) * Doth our
      law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth? * They
      answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search, and
      look: for out of Galilee ariseth no prophet. * Then spake Jesus again
      unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me
      shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of "It is truly meet..." we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Second Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone (Melody: Having crossed the
      Red Sea dry-shod...):

      Irmos: Rejoice, Thou, O Queen, the glory of both mothers and virgins!/
      For no mouth, however fluent and well-spoken,/ can be so eloquent as
      to hymn thee worthily;/ and every mind faileth to understand thy
      childbirth./ Wherefore, with one accord, thee do we magnify.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Thy good Spirit shall lead me in the land of uprightness. Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia!