26281OC Choir Cues: 3 Lent, Veneration of the Cross, 10/23 March 2014

    Mar 18, 2014
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies: "Third Sunday of
      Great Lent and Sunday of the Veneration of the Precious Cross." The
      outline for the Third Sunday of Lent is located in the Order of Divine
      Services (§3B16) on page 118.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for chanting
      according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      10/23 March 2014

      Epistle: Hebrews 4:14-5:6 (§311)
      Gospel: Mark 8:34-9:1 (§37)

      Third Sunday of Great Lent. Veneration of the Precious Cross. Martyr
      Quadratus and those with him at Corinth: Cyprian, Dionysius, Anectus,
      Paul, Crescens, another Dionysius, Victorinus, Victor, Nicephorus,
      Claudius, Diodorus, Serapion, Papias, Lenoidas, and the holy women
      Chariessa, Nunechia, Basilissa, Nica, Calisa Gala, Galina, Theodora,
      and many others. Martyr Codratus of Nicomedia, and with him
      Saturninus, Rufinus, and others. Venerable Anastasia the Patrician of
      Alexandria. Venerable George Arselaites, brother of Venerable John
      Climacus. Martyr Michael of Thessalonica. Venerable John of
      Khakhuli, Georgia. Blessed Paul of Taganrog.

      At all Hours:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Cross
      Kontakion of the Cross

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 10, 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 6
      of the Triodion Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and save
      me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was
      the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      The myrrh-bearing women who came to the tomb heard an angel cry out:
      Christ, Who hath enlightened all things is risen!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Together let us all hymn Christ, Who was nailed to the Cross and hath
      delivered the world from beguilement.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou hast crushed death, O Christ, and risen as a mighty King; Thou
      hast recalled us from the depths of hell and brought us to the land of
      immortality, granting us the joy of the Kingdom of Heaven.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O ye faithful, let us cry aloud with joy and sing triumphantly to
      God,as we greet the Cross of the Lord; for it is a fountain of
      holiness to all those in the world.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The words of the Psalmist are fulfilled: for see, we bow before the
      footstool of Thy most pure feet, O Lord all-powerful, at Thy Precious
      Cross, the thrice-blessed Wood.

      O Ewe free from blemish, the greatest wonder of all wonders was
      revealed in thee: for thou hast borne the Lamb that takes away the sin
      of the world. Entreat Him fervently for those who sing thy praises.

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6: Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, /
      and they that guarded Thee became as dead, / and Mary stood by the
      grave, / seeking Thine immaculate Body; / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life, / O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, // O Lord, glory be to

      Troparion of the Cross, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people/ and bless
      Thine inheritance. / Grant Thou victory unto Orthodox Christians /
      over their enemies, / and by the power of Thy Cross // do Thou
      preserve Thy commonwealth.

      Glory... Both now...

      Kontakion of the Cross, Tone 7: No longer doth the flaming sword guard
      the gate of Eden, / for a strange extinction hath come upon it, even
      the Tree of the Cross. / The sting hath been taken from death, / and
      the victory from hades. / And Thou, my Savior, didst appear unto those
      in hades, saying: // Enter ye again into Paradise.

      Before Thy Cross we bow down, O Master, and Thy holy Resurrection we
      glorify. (3)
      Glory...Both now...
      And Thy holy Resurrection we glorify.

      Before Thy Cross we bow down, O Master, and Thy holy Resurrection we glorify.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone: Save, O Lord, Thy people and
      bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Save, O Lord, Thy people.
      Choir: And bless Thine inheritance.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 4:14-5:6 (§311)]: Brethren: Seeing then that we have a great
      high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God,
      let us hold fast our profession. * For we have not an high priest
      which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was
      in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. * Let us
      therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain
      mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. * For every high priest
      taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God,
      that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins: * Who can have
      compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for
      that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. * And by reason
      hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for
      sins. * And no man taketh this honor unto himself, but he that is
      called of God, as was Aaron. * So also Christ glorified not himself to
      be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to
      day have I begotten thee. * As he saith also in another place, Thou
      art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased from the beginning..
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: But God is our king before the ages, He hath wrought salvation
      in the midst of the earth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Mark 8:34-9:1 (§37)]: The Lord said to His disciples: Whosoever will
      come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow
      me. * For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever
      shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save
      it. * For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole
      world, and lose his own soul? * Or what shall a man give in exchange
      for his soul? * Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my
      words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the
      Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with
      the holy angels. * And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That
      there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death,
      till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

      Instead of It is truly meet, we sing the Hymn to the Theotokos of the
      St. Basil Liturgy (Tone 8 in the Octoechos, but usually sung to one of
      many special melodies]:

      All creation -- the assembly of angels and the race of man --
      rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace, O sacred temple and
      noetical paradise, boast of virgins, from whom God, Who existeth from
      before time, was incarnate and became a child; for He made thy body a
      throne, and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. All
      creation rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace. Glory to

      The light of Thy countenance, O Lord, hath been signed upon us.
      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!