      Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:03 AM
      Subject: [ustav] Re: [OrthodoxPSALM] hierarchal liturgy for 3rd Sunday of Lent

        A. In addition to the excellent answers you will get in these fora, be sure to run this by your hierarch's protodeacon, subdeacon, or whomever it is the bishop appoints to make sure these things go smoothly. They will have the correct answers for you in this specific case.
      B. Before thy cross: Yes. The order will be the same as for the hierarchical Trisagion:
          1.    Melodically: Before thy cross….
          2.    Clergy: Before thy cross… (Either recitative or sung. The clergy may sing this since that will be more familiar.)
          3.    Recitative: Before thy cross….
          4.    Bishop: Lord, Lord, look down upon this vineyard…Some bishops like to say this in three languages. If so, the trio pauses after “Holy God” and “Holy mighty.”
          5.    Trio, slowly: Before thy cross….
          6.    As the trio sings “Holy God,” the bishop blesses to the west; “holy mighty,” south; “holy immortal: have mercy on us,” north.
          7.    Recitative: Before thy cross….
          8.    Clergy: Before thy cross….
          9.    Recitative: Glory… Now… Melodically: And thy holy resurrection, we glorify.
          10.    Melodically: Before thy cross….
      C. In thee all creation…: Yes. Also, on feasts, the proper megalynarion (the Refrain and Irmos from the ninth ode of the canon) is used.

      It can be helpful to have an outline of the hierarchical liturgy so you can see where you're going and where the bumps may be. I can send you one I made at seminary that has been vetted by several people with great familiarity with hierarchical services in the Russian tradtion. (Greeks and other churches following Great Church/Byzantine practice follow a slightly different order.)

      Beautiful lent,
      Kevin Basil

      On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Jennifer Park <parknj@...> wrote:
      Our bishop will be visiting for the 3rd Sunday of Lent. (This will also
      be my first weekend back at church after the birth of our 7th baby, not
      that I'm feeling stressed or anything...) We sing "In thee rejoiceth"
      instead of "It is truly meet" at the Meeting, correct? And do we do
      "Before Thy Cross" similarly to how the Trisagion is done for a
      hierarchal service? How is it divided? Are there any musical
      arrangements floating around specifically for this, or do we just use
      the common melody?

      Thanks, all!

      In Christ,
      Genevieve Park

      ------------------------------------

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          OrthodoxPSALM-digest@yahoogroups.com
          OrthodoxPSALM-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      Kevin (Basil) Fritts
      basil@...
      KevinBasil.com
      Chat: basil@... (XMPP/Jabber – primary)
      kevbasil (Oscar/AIM), TheKevinBasil (Skype)

      “Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.”
      —Ian Mclaren < http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/06/29/be-kind/ >