26256OC Choir Cues: Triodion 2, Sunday of the Prodigal Son AND Afterfeast of the Meeting of the Lord

    Feb 11, 2014
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates the Divine
      Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom for the Sunday of the Prodigal Son,
      combined with the Afterfeast of the Meeting of the Lord. The outline
      for this Sunday is located in the Order of Divine Services III -
      Services of the Menaion - on pp.162-166.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help. I am especially indebted to him for posting
      the first several Sundays of the St. Innocent Press Liturgical
      Calendar, the publication of which has been greatly delayed.

      3/16 February 2014
      SUNDAY OF THE PRODIGAL SON (Triodion 2) -- Tone 1

      Epistle:
      Of the Triodion: 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 (§135)

      Gospel:
      Of the Triodion: Luke 15:11-32 (§79)

      Sunday of the Prodigal Son. Afterfeast of the Meeting of the Lord.
      Holy and Righteous Symeon the God-Receiver and Anna the Prophetess.
      Holy Prophet Azariah. Martyrs Adrian and Eubulus. Martyr Blaise of
      Caesarea. Martyrs Papias, Diodorus, and Claudianus. Right-believing
      Prince Romanus of Uglich. St. Symeon, Bishop of Tver.
      Right-believing Great Prince Sviatoslav (Gabriel in baptism) and his
      son Demetrius. St. Ansgar, Archbishop of Bremen and Hamburg,
      enlightener of Denmark and the north. St. James, Archbishop of
      Serbia. St. Ignatius of Mariupol. in Crimea, Metropolitan of Gothia
      and Kafa. Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Nicholas, Archbishop of Japan
      (1912) and Innocent, Metropolitan of Moscow.

      HOURS:

      At the Third Hour:
      Festal Troparion
      Kontakion of the Prodigal Son

      At the Sixth Hour:
      Festal Troparion
      Festal Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      12 Beatitudes: 4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 6 of the Triodion
      Canon; 4 from Ode 1 of the Festal Canon

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the
      Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me
      when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy
      resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O
      Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the
      Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who
      crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third
      day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who
      cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      The depth of sin ever holds me fast, and the tempest of transgressions
      overwhelms me. Pilot me, O Christ my God, to the haven of life and
      save me, King of glory.

      I have wasted in evil living the riches which the Father gave me, and
      now am brought to poverty. I am filled with shame and enslaved to
      fruitless thoughts. Therefore I cry to Thee who lovest mankind: Take
      pity on me and save me.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      I am wasted with hunger, deprived of every blessing, and an exile from
      Thy presence, O Christ supreme in loving-kindness. Take pity on me as
      I now return, and save me as I sing the praises of Thy love for
      mankind.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O Maiden who hast conceived Christ the Savior and Master, though in my
      poverty I lack all good, count me worthy of salvation, O pure Virgin,
      that I may sing the praises of thy majesty.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The Sun once shone with its rays upon dry land in the midst of the
      deep. For the water on both sides became firm as a wall while the
      people crossed the sea on foot, offering this song acceptable to God:
      Let us sing to the Lord; for gloriously is he glorified.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Let the clouds pour forth rain, for Christ the Sun Who is borne aloft
      upon a light cloud is brought to the temple as a babe on the arm of
      the unblemished one. Wherefore, O ye faithful, let us cry aloud: Let
      us sing unto the Lord, for gloriously hath He been glorified!

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Be strong, ye hands of Symeon feeble with age; and ye weary legs of
      the elder, move quickly and straight to meet Christ, joining chorus
      with the incorporeal ones, chanting: Let us sing unto the Lord, for
      gloriously hath He been glorified!

      O ye heavens stretched out in wisdom, be glad; and rejoice, O thou
      earth! For Christ the Artificer, having come forth from the most
      blessed womb of His Mother, is borne by the Virgin Mother to God the
      Father as a babe, He Who was before all the ages, for gloriously hath
      He been glorified!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by
      the Jews, / and the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, /
      Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life unto the
      world. / Wherefore, the hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O
      Life-Giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ! / Glory to Thy
      Kingdom! // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind!

      Festal Troparion, Tone 1: Rejoice, thou who art full of grace, O
      Virgin Theotokos, / for from thee hath risen the Sun of Righteousness,
      Christ our God, / enlightening those in darkness. / Rejoice, thou
      also, O righteous Elder, / as thou receivest in thine arms the
      Redeemer of our souls, // Who also granteth unto us the Resurrection.

      Glory...

      Kontakion from the Triodion, Tone 3: Having foolishly abandoned Thy
      paternal glory, / I squandered on vices the wealth which Thou gavest
      me. / Wherefore, I cry unto Thee with the voice of the Prodigal: / I
      have sinned before Thee, O compassionate Father. / Receive me as one
      repentant, // and make me as one of Thy hired servants.

      Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 1: Thou Who didst sanctify the Virgin’s womb by
      Thy birth, / and didst bless Symeon’s hands as was meet, / by
      anticipation didst even now save us, O Christ God. / But grant peace
      in the midst of wars unto Thy commonwealth, / and strengthen Orthodox
      Christians // whom Thou hast loved, O only Lover of mankind.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: In the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit
      hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Corinthians.

      [1 Corinthians 6:12-20, §135]: Brethren: All things are lawful unto
      me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me,
      but I will not be brought under the power of any. * Meats for the
      belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and
      them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the
      Lord for the body. * And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will
      also raise up us by his own power. * Know ye not that your bodies are
      the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and
      make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. * What? know ye not
      that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he,
      shall be one flesh. * But he that is joined unto the Lord is one
      spirit. * Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the
      body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.
      * What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost
      which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? * For
      ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in
      your spirit, which are God's.

      THE ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: O God who givest avengement unto me
      and hast subdued people under me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is He that magnifieth the salvation of His king and worketh
      mercy for His anointed, for David and for His seed unto eternity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 8th Tone: Now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace,
      O Master, according to Thy word.

      [Luke 15:11-32, §79]: The Lord said: A certain man had two sons: * And
      the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of
      goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. * And
      not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took
      his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with
      riotous living. * And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty
      famine in that land; and he began to be in want. * And he went and
      joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his
      fields to feed swine. * And he would fain have filled his belly with
      the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. * And when
      he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's
      have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! * I will
      arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have
      sinned against heaven, and before thee, * And am no more worthy to be
      called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. * And he arose,
      and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his
      father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and
      kissed him. * And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against
      heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
      * But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and
      put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: *
      And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be
      merry: * For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost,
      and is found. And they began to be merry. * Now his elder son was in
      the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard music
      and dancing. * And he called one of the servants, and asked what these
      things meant. * And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy
      father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe
      and sound. * And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his
      father out, and intreated him. * And he answering said to his father,
      Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any
      time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might
      make merry with my friends: * But as soon as this thy son was come,
      which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him
      the fatted calf. * And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me,
      and all that I have is thine. * It was meet that we should make merry,
      and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and
      was lost, and is found.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Canon of the feast, Third Tone ("He that of old by a divine
      command...")

      Refrain: O Virgin Theotokos, thou hope of Christians: Do thou
      protect, preserve, and save those that hope in thee.

      Irmos: In the shadow and the letter of the Law, let us, the faithful,
      discern a figure: every male child that opens the womb shall be
      sanctified to God. Therefore do we magnify the firstborn Word and Son
      of the Father without beginning, the firstborn Child of a Mother who
      hath not known a man.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will
      take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!