26053Old Calendar Choir Cues: 2 Pentecost, Nativity of the Forerunner, 24 June/7 July 2013

    Jul 3, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great Feast for
      the Second Sunday after Pentecost and the Feast of the nativity of St.
      John the Baptist. The Feast of All Saints who have shown forth in the
      land of Russia is transferred to 3 Pentecost.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please
      note that the Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      singing according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr.
      Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website:
      http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/. I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      24 June/7 July 2013
      SECOND SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. Tone 1
      Nativity of the Forerunner John the Baptist

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Romans 2:10-16 (§81, from the midpoint)
      For St. John: Romans 13:12-14:4 (§112)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Matthew 4:18-23 (§9)
      For St. John: Luke 1:1-25, 57-68, 76, 80 (§1)

      Second Sunday after Pentecost: Nativity of the Holy Glorious Prophet,
      Forerunner, and Baptist of the Lord, John. Martyrs Orentius,
      Pharnacius, Eros, Firmus, Firminus, Cyriacus, and Longinus. St.
      Nicetas, Bishop of Remesiana. Venerable John, hermit of Bohemia.
      Venerable Anthony, founder of Dymsk Monastery, Novgorod. Venerable
      John of Yaransk, Solovki. Righteous Youths John and James of meniugi.
      Great Prince Michael of Tver. Martyr Panagiotis of Caesarea. St.
      Gerasimus, Bishop of Astrakhan. Movable Feast on the Second Sunday
      After Pentecost: Synaxis of the Saints of Mount Athos.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Forerunner
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Forerunner
      Kontakion of the Forerunner

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 10
      6 from the Octoechos; 4 from the Ode 3 of the Canon of the Forerunner

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the
      Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me when
      Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy
      resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O
      Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the
      Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who
      crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third
      day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who
      cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Very early, the myrrh-bearing women arrived, weeping, at Thy tomb, O
      Christ God; and they found an angel sitting there, clad in white
      garments, who said: What seek ye? Christ is risen! Lament no longer!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When Thine apostles went to the mountain whither Thou hadst commanded
      them to go, and saw Thee, O Savior, they worshipped Thee; and Thou
      didst send them unto the nations, to teach and baptize them.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The birthgiving of the Master is accomplished through the Virgin,
      while that of His beloved servant is through an elderly and barren
      mother; wherefore, -- wonder of wonders! – he goeth on before unto
      splendor.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      (Repeat foregoing Troparion) The birthgiving of the Master is
      accomplished through the Virgin, while that of His beloved servant is
      through an elderly and barren mother; wherefore, -- wonder of wonders!
      – he goeth on before unto splendor.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The elderly and barren woman kisseth the Virgin Mother, truly
      recognizing her birthgiving, for the bond of her barrenness hath been
      loosed by the will of God.

      O thou who gavest birth unto God incarnate without having known
      wedlock, make me steadfast who am beset by the assaults of the
      passions; for I have none other helper than thee, O all-pure one.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by
      the Jews, / and the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, /
      Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life unto the
      world. / Wherefore, the hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O
      Life-Giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ! / Glory to Thy
      Kingdom! // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind!

      Troparion of the Nativity of the Forerunner, Tone 4: O Prophet and
      Forerunner of the coming of Christ, / we who honor thee with love are
      unable to extol thee worthily; / for by thy holy and august birth /
      the barrenness of thy mother and the speechlessness of thy father were
      loosened, // and the incarnation of the Son of God is proclaimed to
      the world.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst rise from the
      tomb in glory, / and Thou didst raise the world together with Thyself.
      / And mortal nature praiseth Thee as God, / and death hath vanished. /
      And Adam danceth, O Master, / and Eve, now freed from fetters,
      rejoiceth as she crieth out: / Thou art He, O Christ, // that grantest
      unto all Resurrection.

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Nativity of the Forerunner, Tone 3: She that was
      formerly barren giveth birth today to the Forerunner of Christ, / Who
      is the fulfillment of all prophecy; / for He Whom the prophets
      foretold is God the Word / Who hath appeared to the prophet, herald,
      and forerunner // when he laid his hand on Him in the Jordan.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6. O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: In the 7th tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord,
      and shall hope in Him.
      Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord and shall hope in Him.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Romans.

      [Romans 2:10-16, §81]: Brethren: Glory, honour, and peace, to every
      man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: *
      For there is no respect of persons with God. * For as many as have
      sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have
      sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; * (For not the hearers
      of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be
      justified. * For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by
      nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are
      a law unto themselves: * Which shew the work of the law written in
      their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their
      thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) * In
      the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ
      according to my gospel.

      [Romans 13:12-14:4, §112]: Brethren: The night is far spent, the day
      is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let
      us put on the armour of light. * Let us walk honestly, as in the day;
      not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not
      in strife and envying. * But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make
      not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. * Him that
      is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. *
      For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak,
      eateth herbs. * Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not;
      and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath
      received him. * Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to
      his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for
      God is able to make him stand.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: O God who givest avengement unto me
      and hast subdued people under me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is He that magnifieth the salvation of His king and
      worketh mercy for His anointed, for David and for His seed unto
      eternity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the same tone: Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for He
      hath visited and wrought redemption for His people.

      [Matthew 4:18-23, §9]: At that time, Jesus, walking by the sea of
      Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother,
      casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. * And he saith unto
      them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. * And they
      straightway left their nets, and followed him. * And going on from
      thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John
      his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets;
      and he called them. * And they immediately left the ship and their
      father, and followed him. * And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching
      in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and
      healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the
      people.

      [Luke 1:1-25, 57-68, 76, 80, §1]: Forasmuch as many have taken in
      hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are
      most surely believed among us, * Even as they delivered them unto us,
      which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
      * It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all
      things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most
      excellent Theophilus, * That thou mightest know the certainty of those
      things, wherein thou hast been instructed. * THERE was in the days of
      Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the
      course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her
      name was Elisabeth. * And they were both righteous before God, walking
      in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. * And
      they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both
      were now well stricken in years. * And it came to pass, that while he
      executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, *
      According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn
      incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. * And the whole
      multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. *
      And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right
      side of the altar of incense. * And when Zacharias saw him, he was
      troubled, and fear fell upon him. * But the angel said unto him, Fear
      not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall
      bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. * And thou shalt
      have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. * For he
      shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine
      nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even
      from his mother's womb. * And many of the children of Israel shall he
      turn to the Lord their God. * And he shall go before him in the spirit
      and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,
      and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people
      prepared for the Lord. * And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby
      shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in
      years. * And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that
      stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to
      shew thee these glad tidings. * And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and
      not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed,
      because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their
      season. * And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he
      tarried so long in the temple. * And when he came out, he could not
      speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the
      temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless. * And it
      came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were
      accomplished, he departed to his own house. * And after those days his
      wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, * Thus
      hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to
      take away my reproach among men. * Now Elisabeth's full time came that
      she should be delivered; and she brought forth a son. * And her
      neighbours and her cousins heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy
      upon her; and they rejoiced with her. * And it came to pass, that on
      the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him
      Zacharias, after the name of his father. * And his mother answered and
      said, Not so; but he shall be called John. * And they said unto her,
      There is none of thy kindred that is called by this name. * And they
      made signs to his father, how he would have him called. * And he asked
      for a writing table, and wrote, saying, His name is John. And they
      marvelled all. * And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue
      loosed, and he spake, and praised God. * And fear came on all that
      dwelt round about them: and all these sayings were noised abroad
      throughout all the hill country of Judaea. * And all they that heard
      them laid them up in their hearts, saying, What manner of child shall
      this be! And the hand of the Lord was with him. * And his father
      Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, *
      Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed
      his people, * And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the
      Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his
      ways; * And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the
      deserts till the day of his shewing unto Israel.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!