17559Re: [ustav] Digest Number 1692

  • srbmillerr@aol.com
    Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:40:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      ustav@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Who is supposed to read the Prok. at Pres. and from where?
      > I assume, the Prok. before the Epistle and Gospel are done as on Sundays?
      > Why does the Deacon or Pries say the Prok. on Sat. but not on Sundays? At
      > least that it what we do.
      > Thanks,
      > maria.

      Dear Maria,
      No Typikon or other service book (in my recollection) assigns the prokeimenon
      at any service to the priest or deacon. It is the common Russian usage to
      have the deacon or the priest do the prokeimenon at Vespers & Matins. BUT it is
      usual to have the reader of the OT lessons do the prokeimena at the
      Vespers/Presanctified just as at the Divine Liturgy. The reader does the prokeimena
      from the same place as the lessons.

      Sergius

      Sergius