12417Re: [ustav] Fathers Kontakion

  • Fr. John R. Shaw
    Jan 1, 2003
      > Dear List,
      >
      > In case some of you are preparing the service for the Sunday Before
      > Nativity:
      >
      > I noticed on Fr. John's rubrics, he has (I think this is for the
      Prophet
      > Daniel and Three Youths), after Glory..., the:
      >
      > Kontakion *6: A hand-wrought image ye would not worship...
      >
      > Where I have:
      >
      > Fathers Kontakion *1 SPEC. MEL: ³THE CHOIR OF ANGELS...²
      >
      > Be glad, O Bethlehem!/ Make ready, O Ephratha!/ For, lo! she who
      beareth
      > the Lamb and great Shepherd in her womb/ doth make haste to give
      birth./
      > Beholding this, the God-bearing fathers are glad,// with the shepherds
      > hymning the Virgin who giveth milk.

      JRS: What you have is the Kondak of the Fore-feast of the Nativity:
      that would be sung after "Both now..."

      What Fr. John gives is that of the Holy Fathers (and also Dec. 17, St.
      Daniel and the 3 Youths). This is sung after "Gloria", prior to "Both
      now" and the Kondak of the Fore-feast.

      In Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic