Passing of Ernie Dickson

  • Dave Dvorak
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      I'm sad to inform all that Ernie Dickson passed away at his home in
      Binghamton, NY, Sunday, November 5, 2006, after a long battle with
      cancer. Ernie, aka "Big Ern" or "Spud" served on the T2 as a
      quartermaster during several med runs in the 70's. I sure had a lot of
      good times with Ernie on the T2 and after the navy.

      Dave Dvorak
    • tdushooter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2006
        --- In usstullibeessn597@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Dvorak" <dd_dvorak@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm sad to inform all that Ernie Dickson passed away at his home in
        > Binghamton, NY, Sunday, November 5, 2006, after a long battle with
        > cancer. Ernie, aka "Big Ern" or "Spud" served on the T2 as a
        > quartermaster during several med runs in the 70's. I sure had a lot
        of
        > good times with Ernie on the T2 and after the navy.
        >
        > Dave Dvorak

        Dave..Brother Phil here..always sad to hear about a brother t2 sailor
        going to sea for that final run..although i left the tullibee just as
        ernie got there..I'm sure i missed a great person my prays go out to
        his family thanks for letting us know..take care John Phillips ms2(ss)
      • wcb0mlx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2006
          Dave, sorry to hear about Ernie, have many memories living next door to
          him "on the Mountain" . He was one of the most memorable guys I
          remember for that time in my life. Thanks for letting us know.
          Wes Burnham
        • Jeff Scanlon
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
            Hi Dave and all,

            Sad news about Ernie. I've thought of him several
            times through the years whenever I find myself telling
            someone one of my "sea stories" (not that anyone
            listens anymore). Ernie, of course, made himself
            memorable from the first day I met him. I still had my
            sea bag slung over my shoulder when he came up and
            said, "They call me Big Ern. Here's why." I'm sure
            you all know the rest.

            At first I was put off by his over-the-top arrogance.
            But before long I realized he just enjoyed fun, and he
            made it his job to bring as much fun and enjoyment to
            any setting. His charisma made him the life of the
            party, but he also liked to see that others were
            enjoying the party as well. I guess his arrogance was
            really generosity. Still, I do tend to think of him
            whenever I see an Alec Baldwin film.

            Anyway, it's ironic that someone who brought so much
            energy to life would die so young (he couldn't have
            been much more than 50?).

            Best wishes to his family and friends, and Dave,
            thanks for keeping us connected.

            Jeff Scanlon

            --- Dave Dvorak <dd_dvorak@...> wrote:

            > I'm sad to inform all that Ernie Dickson passed away
            > at his home in
            > Binghamton, NY, Sunday, November 5, 2006, after a
            > long battle with
            > cancer. Ernie, aka "Big Ern" or "Spud" served on the
            > T2 as a
            > quartermaster during several med runs in the 70's. I
            > sure had a lot of
            > good times with Ernie on the T2 and after the navy.
            >
            > Dave Dvorak

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice.yahoo.com