Re: [USS Independence CVA 62] Some Ship Memories

  • samcroy
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
      What was your rate Earl? I left Indy in Feb 1971 when we returned from
      that cruise. Worked in AIMD Mugs Shop.

      --- In ussindependencecva62-1@yahoogroups.com, "Earl T. Langley, Jr."
      <delta795@...> wrote:

      > Yall are talking my time frame now!! I came on in Athens, GR on 29
      > Aug. '70 and left 9 June '73, just before she left for the Med.
    • Earl T. Langley, Jr.
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 8, 2008
        in Sam, I was an Electrician's Mate. My first job was in #4 Main
        Space during that cruise. As I said, I came on board 29 Aug. '70 in
        Athens, GR. and spent the rest of the cruise getting back up to speed
        as an Electrician's Mate. I spent most of my time in #4 Main Space and
        on watch there in #4 Switchboard as well as well as in the 7 other
        switchboards. I made 3rd Class on 1 Dec. '70, which helped me out when
        we got back to the states. We went into the yards for a short yard
        period, and I was placed in the Habitability Division. Being a 3rd
        Class helped keep me out of some of the working parties as a "GRUNT",
        but we still did a hell of a lot of wiring. I and another guy did
        the "Captain's In-Port Cabin!" He came in while I was finishing up in
        the head; I was on a ladder, so I could not pop tall, but he told me
        to "Carry On", which I did!! If I remember correctly, we gave him some
        extra lights by which to shave. The pipe fitters redid his shower and
        toilet, all of which I think he appreciated.

        Sam, my buddy Dennis Schell got off the day we pulled in from the Med.,
        and I finally located him about 7-8 years ago in Alaska. He lived in
        Loveland, CO. when he got out, but moved around the SW until he wound
        up in Alaska. I need to try again to find him; maybe he can come to
        one of the reunions. His wife's family lives in MO, and I tried to
        contact him prior to the St. Louis, MO reunion, but could not. I think
        I may have located him in MO; I just need to try and call him.

        Yall have a GREAT evening!!

        Smooth Seas!! Retired!! DELTA 795, Earl Langley!!

        --- In ussindependencecva62-1@yahoogroups.com, samcroy <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > What was your rate Earl? I left Indy in Feb 1971 when we returned from
        > that cruise. Worked in AIMD Mugs Shop.
        >

        > --- In ussindependencecva62-1@yahoogroups.com, "Earl T. Langley, Jr."
        > <delta795@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yall are talking my time frame now!! I came on in Athens, GR on 29
        > > Aug. '70 and left 9 June '73, just before she left for the Med.

      • Dan Riesenbeck
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 9, 2008
          Hey Earl.. Send me his full name and wifes name and I will find him for you.... Its part of the job my firm does... Let me know... I will have address and phone for you if it is out there..

          Dan

          wrote:

          > What was your rate Earl? I left Indy in Feb 1971 when we returned from
          > that cruise. Worked in AIMD Mugs Shop.
          >

          > --- In ussindependencecva62-1@yahoogroups.com, "Earl T. Langley, Jr."
          > <delta795@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yall are talking my time frame now!! I came on in Athens, GR on 29
          > > Aug. '70 and left 9 June '73, just before she left for the Med.

          A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

        • samcroy
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 9, 2008
            Hi Earl,
            I was standing at the elevator waiting for the gangplank to be set up
            when we got back from that cruise in Feb. 71. I walked down the
            gangplank and was a free man. 18 months later I was back in for two
            more years because the recruiter told me he could get me a billet a
            Subic. After a month in Philly waiting the bastards sent me to
            Iceland... I called the guy in DC (forget what they called them now?),
            and gave him a piece of my mind. I asked him if he stuck a dowel
            through the globe cause he sent me to the exact opposite end of the world.
            Such is life. I did end up at Oceana in VF-11 for the remainder but
            didn't stick... bad call on my part I guess but then I wouldn't have
            met the wonderful woman I have been married to for 32 years now if I
            had stayed. Everything works out in the end I guess. I just wish she
            and I could have been a lifer couple, she is an Army brat who spent he
            first 8 years of life in post war Germany. She would have made a great
            Navy wife I think.

            The problem I have with finding most of the people I was in the Navy
            with is we all just used last names most of the time. The few close
            friends I had that I called by their first names now I can't remember
            their last names... damned if I do and damned if I don't. Should have
            kept a journal I guess.

            Anyone have a cruise book from that 70-71 med cruise?

            Have a good one.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 9, 2008
              Or for that matter the 1968 cruise that lasted 9 months.

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 15, 2008
                As long as I have a city and a name I can get pretty damn close... So when you get something let me know...

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 15, 2008

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 15, 2008
                    Stand by!!!! Earl!!