Ship of the Line Pennsylvania

  • cokerre
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
      I have added to the photos of the Pennsylvania a paiting by Butterworth
      showing the ship probably entering the Chesapeake upon her arrival from
      Philadelphia. If anyone can identify the light house in left side of
      the painting, please let me know.
      This painting will be offered at Christie's Maritime Auction in New
      York on January 31. To see it and the other offerings go to
      Christies.com and click on auction schedule and scroll down to January
      31. PC Coker
    • santmin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2007
        PC,

        I put your question to my son who had sailed the Chesapeake quite a bit and received the following, hope it helps.

        Bob Santos
        **************************************************************************************************************

        Dad,

        My guess is that it is Cove Point Light near the Patuxent River .  This light has a very distinctive roof.  It was built in 1828 and the Pennsylvania was launched in 1837 so it was obviously built before the painting and the keepers house was enlarged ( a second floor was added) in 1883 which is after 1861 when she was burned to the waterline atNorfolk .

        Some data:

        COVE POINT LIGHT

        Location:  Western shore of the Chesapeake Bay, 4 miles north of the entrance to the Patuxent River
        Date Built:  Commissioned December 1828
        Type of Structure:  Conical brick tower with detached keeper’s dwelling
        Height:  38 feet
        Characteristics:  Flashing white
        Foghorn:  Yes
        Builder:  John Donahoo