Ship of the Line Ohio Model

  • cokerre
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006
      I have added to the photo section on the Ohio photos of the sailor's
      model of the ship on exhibit in the Peabody-Essex Museum. This model is
      about three feet long on deck and dated 1850, about the time that the
      Ohio was station ship in nearby Boston.
      There are several glaring differences between this model and the
      Chapelle plans of the ship and the photos of the ship taken in 1883
      just before she was broken up. Amongst them are the bow and figurehead,
      the forecastle deck (which are not shown on the plans or the Bruckshaw
      model), the stern gallery and decorations, the size and shape of some
      of the hatches on the main deck... Apparently this model is little more
      than an approximate example of the ship much like the model of the
      Delaware in the Portsmouth Naval Museum in Virginia.
      One interesting feature is that she seems to have the original furled
      sails and studding sail booms and the rigging seems fairly complete.
      She is beautifully displayed in the main gallery of the Peabody-Essex
      Museum.
      PC Coker/moderator