Re: [usshipsoftheline] Info wanted or help needed

  • PC Coker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hi,
      I don't claim to be an expert on the Mexican War
      but from what I do know, it was mostly a land war with
      the navy transporting the troops and covering the
      landings. The main big navy show was the bombardment
      of Vera Cruz for the march on Mexico City and the
      capture of the California ports mainly |Monterry by
      the frigate Savannah. I do know that the ships of the
      line Columbus, Ohio and maybe one or two others
      participated. For the most part the rest of the Navy's
      job was in blockading the Mexican ports. There was in
      the Naval Institute Proceedings back in the 1950s an
      article with illustrations of the Columbus and her war
      time activities.
      As far as books go, the one you have by chapelle is
      the best. Hope this helps,

      PC Coker
      moderator

      http://mail.yahoo.com