Roux painting of US ship of the line

  • PCC
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2012
      I have posted in the 'unknown' folder a painting of a US ship of the line at anchor in Marseilles in May 1821. The ship is not identified but only the Washington, Franklin, Independence, and Columbus were in service then. In as much as Columbus was the newest the painting is likely of her. Anyone have any info that would help identify which ship?
    • John Kallaugher
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2012
        If the scene is genuinely set in May 1821 it must be Columbus. Columbus was on station in the Med at that time. Franklin returned to USA for refit in1820. Independence was in Med to 1816 and Washington to 1818.

        The open midships bulwark section does not agree with the plan of Columbus, however, or other depictions of that ship. It is a feature of the ships constructed during the War of 1812. There is another painting by Roux of Washington (see Canney's book on Sailing Warships of the US Navy p.94). I wonder if Roux did a painting in 1821 of a generic US ship of the line, based on his sketches of Washington?
      • Tree
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5 2:25 PM
          Hi
          Hope Ya'll,don't mind input from a New Member. I haven't seen the painting in question yet,but I can follow the thread easily enough. The Ship of the Line in question may well be Columbus. Columbus, although completed later than the first three,was a member of the Independence Class,so would have been similar in over all appearance,though some diffrences would have been apparent due to later construction.