Greetings

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2010
      I tripped over this group looking for something else - my usual method of finding interesting things - and joined up to eavesdrop.  It's a very interesting topic.  Maybe I'll gain more insight into my own project, which isn't a liner, but a sloop-of-war that was somewhat contemporary to the liners, being built in 1854.

      On another note, I volunteer one night a week at the Naval Academy Museum shop in Preble Hall.  My project there is the restoration of a 1:24ish scale model of the USS St Lawrence (A Brandywine class frigate), but a model just came in last week of a liner with the name James Monroe - I posted a cell-phone picture of it in the Photo section of the group.  This Thursday I'll take a real camera in and post some better shots of this interesting model.

      There's speculation as to what the model represents.  Some fellow at Mystic Seaport says it's "not old" and advised the owner not to buy it (who bought it anyway). The Museum curator scoped the model and believes it could be 1815-1830 vintage.  The 1/4" long hand made nails suggest some age.  The lines and style of the ship are just what you would expect of an 1815-1820 design.

      Anyway - I'll pass along more after I go in this Thursday night.

      Jerry Todd
      My Projects

    • The Rasch Family
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2010
        Way Cool! I was just at the museum for the first time last November. My son is stationed at the pentagon with the Air Force. We both agreed the museum deserves more than an hour visit.

        David
        Burnsville, MN

        By the way, I volunteer at the Minneaspolis V.A. Med center. As a vet myself-partially disabled, I want to give back.