Virginia Ship-of-the-Line

  • virginiaship
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2009
      Greetings-

      I have a couple of questions about the USS Virginia that never put to sea. I see on other posts in this forum that one of the other vessels was originally named Virginia (can't remember which off-hand) - does anyone know the reason for this?

      Also, there seem to be pictures of every other Ship of the Line, but nothing in the gallery for Virginia. I've seen one print of the Virginia being built, but does anyone have any other drawings or anything? If not, which of the other ships was most like the Virginia?

      I'm working on a website on ships named Virginia and there is not much out there on this vessel.

      Thanks for any and all information.

      Tim
      Haymarket, Virginia
    • Brian Weathersby
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2009
        Have you tried the Dictionary of American Fighting Ships online? They don't have much, but they do say that she was a North Carolina class.
        http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/line/virginia.htm

        --- In usshipsoftheline@yahoogroups.com, "virginiaship" <virginiaship@...> wrote:

        > Greetings-
        >
        > I have a couple of questions about the USS Virginia that never put to sea. I see on other posts in this forum that one of the other vessels was originally named Virginia (can't remember which off-hand) - does anyone know the reason for this?
        >
        > Also, there seem to be pictures of every other Ship of the Line, but nothing in the gallery for Virginia. I've seen one print of the Virginia being built, but does anyone have any other drawings or anything? If not, which of the other ships was most like the Virginia?
        >
        > I'm working on a website on ships named Virginia and there is not much out there on this vessel.
        >
        > Thanks for any and all information.
        >
        > Tim
        > Haymarket, Virginia

      • Bruce Nielsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2009
          Tim,

          The book titled, The History of The Sailing Navy—The Ships and Their Development," by Howard I. Chapelle, documents three ships named "Virginia."

          1st was a 28 gun Frigate built in 1776.
          2nd was a 14 gun Revenue cutter built in 1798.
          3rd one was a 74 gun Ship of the line that was started in 1818, never finished and broken up on its stocks in 1874.

          Much more detail is contained in the book covering your questions.

          ….Bruce Nielsen

          --- In usshipsoftheline@yahoogroups.com, "virginiaship" <virginiaship@...> wrote:

          > Greetings-
          >
          > I have a couple of questions about the USS Virginia that never put to sea. I see on other posts in this forum that one of the other vessels was originally named Virginia (can't remember which off-hand) - does anyone know the reason for this?
          >
          > Also, there seem to be pictures of every other Ship of the Line, but nothing in the gallery for Virginia. I've seen one print of the Virginia being built, but does anyone have any other drawings or anything? If not, which of the other ships was most like the Virginia?
          >
          > I'm working on a website on ships named Virginia and there is not much out there on this vessel.
          >
          > Thanks for any and all information.
          >
          > Tim
          > Haymarket, Virginia

        • virginiaship
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2009
            Thanks for the quick replies. I've done research on the ships in question - actually there are 15 vessels named VIRGINIA that have appeared in the various 'navies' of this country - whether it be pre-US, USRC, USN or CSN. What I'm looking for is specifics on this Virginia - for example, why one of the other ship of the lines was originally named Virginia and then changed. I'll take a look for that book and see if they have any clarification...

            Tim

            --- In usshipsoftheline@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Nielsen" <blnielsen@...> wrote:

            > Tim,
            >
            > The book titled, The History of The Sailing Navy—The Ships and Their Development," by Howard I. Chapelle, documents three ships named "Virginia."
            >
            > 1st was a 28 gun Frigate built in 1776.
            > 2nd was a 14 gun Revenue cutter built in 1798.
            > 3rd one was a 74 gun Ship of the line that was started in 1818, never finished and broken up on its stocks in 1874.
            >
            > Much more detail is contained in the book covering your questions.
            >
            > ….Bruce Nielsen
            >

            > --- In usshipsoftheline@yahoogroups.com, "virginiaship" <virginiaship@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings-
            > >
            > > I have a couple of questions about the USS Virginia that never put to sea. I see on other posts in this forum that one of the other vessels was originally named Virginia (can't remember which off-hand) - does anyone know the reason for this?
            > >
            > > Also, there seem to be pictures of every other Ship of the Line, but nothing in the gallery for Virginia. I've seen one print of the Virginia being built, but does anyone have any other drawings or anything? If not, which of the other ships was most like the Virginia?
            > >
            > > I'm working on a website on ships named Virginia and there is not much out there on this vessel.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any and all information.
            > >
            > > Tim
            > > Haymarket, Virginia

          • JOHN KALLAUGHER
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 20, 2009
              I think you may be confused with the "Alabama" which was renamed "New Hampshire" when it was commissioned in 1864.  I am pretty sure that the only U.S.N. ship-of-the-line associated with the name "Virginia"  was the ship under construction at Boston navy yard.
              Thanks for the quick replies. I've done research on the ships in question - actually there are 15 vessels named VIRGINIA that have appeared in the various 'navies' of this country - whether it be pre-US, USRC, USN or CSN. What I'm looking for is specifics on this Virginia - for example, why one of the other ship of the lines was originally named Virginia and then changed. I'll take a look for that book and see if they have any clarification. ..

              Tim

              --- In usshipsoftheline@ yahoogroups. com, "Bruce Nielsen" <blnielsen@. ..> wrote:

              > Tim,
              >
              > The book titled, The History of The Sailing Navy—The Ships and Their Development, " by Howard I. Chapelle, documents three ships named "Virginia."
              >
              > 1st was a 28 gun Frigate built in 1776.
              > 2nd was a 14 gun Revenue cutter built in 1798.
              > 3rd one was a 74 gun Ship of the line that was started in 1818, never finished and broken up on its stocks in 1874.
              >
              > Much more detail is contained in the book covering your questions.
              >
              > ….Bruce Nielsen
              >

              > --- In usshipsoftheline@ yahoogroups. com, "virginiaship" <virginiaship@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Greetings-
              > >
              > > I have a couple of questions about the USS Virginia that never put to sea. I see on other posts in this forum that one of the other vessels was originally named Virginia (can't remember which off-hand) - does anyone know the reason for this?
              > >
              > > Also, there seem to be pictures of every other Ship of the Line, but nothing in the gallery for Virginia. I've seen one print of the Virginia being built, but does anyone have any other drawings or anything? If not, which of the other ships was most like the Virginia?
              > >
              > > I'm working on a website on ships named Virginia and there is not much out there on this vessel.
              > >
              > > Thanks for any and all information.
              > >
              > > Tim
              > > Haymarket, Virginia

            • virginiaship
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2009
                John and all,

                According to "The Sailing Navy, 1775-1854" on page 25, it shows that in the Delaware class:

                - Vermont - Boston Navy Yard - laid down Sept.1818, launched 15 Sep1848, comm. 30 Jan 1862 (ex-Virginia (27 Apr 1827)) ex-Massachusetts (1818)

                - Virginia - Boston Navy Yard - laid down May 1822, never launched, never commissioned (ex-Vermont (27 Apr 1827))

                It also lists the Alabama, Delaware, New York, North Carolina separately.

                That's where my confusion comes from. If the dates are correct, it's almost as if the two ships switched named in 1827.

                Any help?

                Tim
                Haymarket, Virginia