Re: [usshipsoftheline] Incorrect information

  • Me Too
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2009
      PC,
         Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment. When you consider it there are many warships the USN had the never fired a shot yet performed their task through times of peace showing the flag all over the world. A comparable example would be our carriers. All through the 50's and 60's they cruised the med as well as the western pacific performing much the same function as the S's OTL did in the 19th century. One cannot expect a ship so large to manuver or have the same seakeeping qualities as a frigate. Two different ships designed for two different tasks so I think the criticism is misguided.

      Your forum is not frequented too much but the photo section is great and your Deleware is a beautiful model. I wish I had the patience to build one. Actual information on these ships is so hard to come by. It is a shame none that survived into the early 20th century were preserved. It's only been in recent times the the USN has set about trying to preserve artifacts of its past. Even now though the navy is still dragging its feet about raising some aircraft from the bottom of the sea of which they have no examples of for their museum. In addition, the navy will not allow non government entities to raise and restore those aircraft and will procecute anyone that tries to raise them. The USAF has a different attitude, they don't care if anyone salvages any wreck as long as any human remains are left undisturbed until they can be removed by the military beforehand.
          Jon K.