Teaser for Tuesday, June 1, 2004 -- "Tokyo Rose", Part I

  • G. Garcia
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2004
      Captain Poe took the call from Admiral De La Cruz on the bridge, not thinking it was anything the bridge crew couldn't hear.  Still, it was strange for Poe -- and really, anyone on Pegasus other than Martinique La Salle -- to receive a subspace call from the head of the Starfleet Diplomatic Corps.  Rising out of the captain's chair, Poe tapped the button on his armrest that would finally put the comm through.

      "Admiral De La Cruz, this is unexpected.  How may we be of assistance?"

      The admiral nodded once.  "Captain Poe, I am sorry I do not pay calls on you more often, but I am rather busy with the Diplomatic Corps, and your ship is of course in the Exploration branch."

      Poe nodded.  "Understandable.  So, to what do we owe the pleasure of this particular subspace call?"

      Admiral De La Cruz smiled; diplomatic courtesy had always been appreciated, even under stressful or taxing circumstances, Poe had learned from his fianc�e.  "Thank you.  I'll be brief, as I am still on subspace with First MInister Shakaar.  Are you still en route to Bajor?"

      Poe nodded.  "Yes, for the Bajoran Cultural Conference.  Our ETA is ..." Poe looked at Betencourt, seated at Conn.

      "Six hours, twelve minutes."

      Admiral De La Cruz continued after a pause.  "You have a Cardassian Legate on board Pegasus, under Federation asylum, do you not?" De La Cruz looked off the viewscreen at something.  "A ... Legate Zelman Toralek."

      Poe didn't respond physically, but simply said, "Yes ... that's right.  He was granted asylum some time ago ..."

      "And is this latest report correct, that he performs minor duties in your Sickbay?"

      Poe nodded once.  "Yes, he is a medically trained professional, but of course without Starfleet medical credentials, he is not allowed to perform any procedures or do anything without supervision and approval from the ship's chief medical officer, Dr. Melissa Raven."

      "Well that is a matter for Starfleet Medical to review.  But I'm afraid that due to the seriousness of the allegations against Legate Toralek by the Bajoran government, I must ask that you confine him somewhere under guard until you arrive in orbit of Bajor."

      Poe leaned back, checking quickly where Toralek was, as he asked, "Under guard? What are these allegations?"

      "Legate Toralek is accused by the Bajoran government of being the infamous Butcher of Meralek, in light of evidence recently uncovered through cooperation with the Cardassians."

      Poe sat down, and looked stricken.  "The Meralek Cultural Outreach facility?"

      Admiral De La Cruz said, "Yes, do you know of it?"  She paused.  "Oh.  Of course, you must.  I'm sorry."  She paused, then said, "I'm afraid this is an official request from the Bajoran government, and one I'm inclined to say we should grant.  His guilt or innocence will be decided later, but we must show the Bajorans that we are taking their charges seriously."

      Poe sat in his chair impassively.  "Mr. Kishi, pleace head to Sickbay and escort Zelman Toralek to his quarters.  Keep him there under guard until we arrive at Bajor."

      Kishi paused.  "Sir?"

      "Do it."  Poe looked up at the viewscreen finally.  "Admiral, I'll contact you once I've spoken to the Bajoran authorities as to the charges."

      "Actually, captain, I have been given this request by First Minister Shakaar, but my involvement in this matter is not going to extend far beyond providing someone at the hearing."  De La Cruz seemed to squirm for a second.  "Federation Councillor Amaterasu Kaiyama is in orbit of Bajor and has asked to be briefed on this incident.  Starfleet Command sees no objections to this."

      Poe definitely frowned.  "I'm not sure that is appropriate, Admiral --"

      De La Cruz held up a hand.  "Captain, I quite agree, but she is merely involved in an observer capacity.  She is also present at the request of the Bajoran government.  Now, I must ask that you transfer me to Ambassador La Salle.  It is urgent that I bring her up to speed, as she will be asked to represent the Diplomatic Corps in this matter."

      Poe nodded vaguely, and Betencourt transferred the comm call.  Counselor Asher leaned over and said, "The Meralek Cultural Outreach facility? What is it?"

      The captain replied grimly, not looking at Asher, "A fancy name for a slaughtering camp."

      Asher said, already knowing the answer, "Did you know people who were sent there, Captain?"

      Poe nodded, once.  "A very good friend of mine who served with me at Kheler R�d ... worked in a monastery nearby the facility.  He and hundreds of others were killed there by the infamous Butcher of Meralek ..."

      Asher finished his thought.  "Who the Bajorans now claim is Toralek."

      Poe finally looked at her, something akin to horror in his look.  "And I've had him aboard my ship for the past several months ..."

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • G. Garcia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21 10:47 AM

        Captain Poe took the call from Admiral De La Cruz on the bridge, not thinking it was anything the bridge crew couldn't hear.  Still, it was strange for Poe -- and really, anyone on Pegasus other than Martinique La Salle -- to receive a subspace call from the head of the Starfleet Diplomatic Corps.  Rising out of the captain's chair, Poe tapped the button on his armrest that would finally put the comm through.

        "Admiral De La Cruz, this is unexpected.  How may we be of assistance?"

        The admiral nodded once.  "Captain Poe, I am sorry I do not pay calls on you more often, but I am rather busy with the Diplomatic Corps, and your ship is of course in the Exploration branch."

        Poe nodded.  "Understandable.  So, to what do we owe the pleasure of this particular subspace call?"

        Admiral De La Cruz smiled; diplomatic courtesy had always been appreciated, even under stressful or taxing circumstances, Poe had learned from his fianc�e.  "Thank you.  I'll be brief, as I am on subspace with First MInister Shakaar.  Are you still en route to Bajor?"