UCD vs. U-CD

  • Hallvard Trætteberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2001
      Hi all,

      In one of the last discussions, both UCD (Tony) and U-CD (Larry) acronyms
      where used. I usually think of the first as User-Centered Design, and find
      it strange to use it for the similarly sounding but different (or more
      specific) than Usage-Centered Design. Therefore I liked the idea of using
      U-CD for the more specific approach. Is this an established convention? Or
      perhaps UsageCD, which I've also seen used.

      Hallvard Trætteberg, stipendiat ved IDI, NTNU
      http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~hal, mailto:hal@..., phone:+47 7359 3443
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2001
        Hallvard wrote:

        > In one of the last discussions, both UCD (Tony) and U-CD (Larry) acronyms
        > where used. I usually think of the first as User-Centered Design, and find
        > it strange to use it for the similarly sounding but different (or more
        > specific) than Usage-Centered Design. Therefore I liked the idea of using
        > U-CD for the more specific approach. Is this an established convention? Or
        > perhaps UsageCD, which I've also seen used.

        Lucy Lockwood and I started the U-CD abbreviation for usage-centered design
        precisely to distinguish it from UCD, a common abbreviation for "user
        centered design." In formal presentations and publication we invariably
        spell it out. (After 40 years in the business I am tired of all the acronyms
        and have become somewhat of an acronymophobe, preferring genuine readability
        to false economies of paper saving. I even spell out "user interface," to
        the dismay of editors. Reading research shows that acronyms, far from
        speeding up scanning, actually slow down reading and marginally increase
        error rates.) I *like* UsageCD, which really puts the emphasis on the
        distinction.

        --Larry Constantine
        Director of Research & Development | Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.
        58 Kathleen Circle | Rowley, MA 01969
        t: +1 978 948 5012 | f: +1 978 948 5036 | www.foruse.com