Justification for Essential Use Cases

  • brogers@calypsosystems.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
      In the projects I've tried to utilize Use Cases, I've had to
      justify their use both to clients and colleagues.

      Toward that end, I've created this "Essential Use Case FAQ" as
      part of an effort to utilize Essential Use Cases on a number of
      projects--it is intended to justify and explain to both clients
      and other project members the use of Use Cases in general,
      Essential Use Cases in particular, and provide some reference
      links.

      It's based mostly on the work of Cockburn & Constantine / Lockwood:

      http://www.26thcentury.com/~buc/Info/Soft-eng/specification/use-cases/
      essential/Essential-UseCase-FAQs.htm

      And here's an Essential Use Case template I've been using--it
      includes a Use Case diagram notation referred to in the FAQ:

      http://www.26thcentury.com/~buc/Info/Soft-eng/specification/use-cases/
      templates/UseCaseTemplates.doc

      Note there are MS-Word comments in the above template including
      Constantine-inspired "Optionally", "In any order" constructs.

      I also have some sets of links specific to Essential Use Cases
      and Usage-Centered Design:

      http://www.26thcentury.com/~buc/Info/IndexSearch/Soft-engi.htm#Soft-en
      g/specification/use-cases/essential/

      http://www.26thcentury.com/~buc/Info/IndexSearch/Soft-engi.htm#Soft-en
      g/rad/light-methodology/usage-centered/

      Any comments appreciated

      Buc Rogers
      Infrastructure Architect
      Calypso Systems
      1.312.288.2113
    • Lu, Hongzheng (Cindy)
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
        Thanks! The links are very useful! - Cindy