Re: [usage-centered] Introduction

  • Nuno J. Nunes
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 17, 2000
      on 16/12/00 00:35, Jeff Patton at jeff621@... wrote:

      > Just to add my 2 cents to testability and UI - and I'm
      > not sure it pertains directly to extremeModeling: I
      > work in an XP shop, and indeed there is a focus on
      > making things testable. I've seen it impose a
      > detrimental effect on usability at times.
      > Specifically, I've seen UI be implemented a particular
      > way *because it's testable* not because it best
      > supports what the user is trying to accomplish.

      My comment wasn't about usability... It was about XP and lot's of people out
      there saying that they are doing XP when in fact they found XP to be a
      "cool" name to call their ad-hoc chaotic ways of working... [I'm of course
      not talking about anybody in particular].

      XP means taking every programming practice to an extreme. Let's say
      testing... You have to test everything and you can't write code unless you
      write a test case and try to break it. XP is also against any kind of
      modeling at higher levels of abstraction (i.e. you can draw a couple of UML
      diagrams if they represent implementation level models). This is highly
      against any model-based approach to software development - including usage
      centered design and others.

      > Basically that points to keeping our eye on the goal -
      > to create usable, good software. XP is a means to an
      > end - not an end in and of itself.

      If you mean that one can use some of XP practices within a different
      development approach... That's Ok but that's not XP. The only thing new to
      XP is taking every practice to an extreme... If you only take some you're
      not doing XP... But you can develop good and usable software.

      Nuno

      > --- John Sisk <john.sisk@...> wrote:
      >> Hi Nuno,
      >>
      >> You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie
      >> testing the model.
      >> Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org
      >> which opens up a new
      >> learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting
      >> discussions here at work
      >> :)
      >>
      >> Regards
      >> John Sisk
      >>
      >> <snip>
      >> Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front
      >> modeling approach is the
      >> testability of the models. Can you build test cases
      >> for analysis and design
      >> level models? Whether they are for user interface
      >> design purposes or not
      >> doesn't matter.
      >>
      >> Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent
      >> usability evaluation of
      >> prototypes are a way of testing user interface
      >> models... I don't believe
      >> they match the initial idea behind XP... For
      >> instance, can you break those
      >> tests?
      >> </snip>

      > http://shopping.yahoo.com/

      University of Madeira - Teaching Assistant
      Mathematics Dep. - Computer Science Unit
      phone: +351 291 705160 (direct) 705150 (secretary)
      fax: +351 291 705199
        I've been programming for a living for around 26 years now. I learned to program 38 years ago in abstract machine language ( no computer to run it on). Most recently (last 10 years or so), I've been doing object oriented programming in C++. The majority of what I've been doing has only had error messages for a user interface, with a few exceptions. What little GUI work I've done has been with Borland, MS VC++, and MS VB. It has all been by following the examples of what I've seen, and hasn't been desingned at all.

        Since I value design very highly in building classes in C++, I was very glad to run across _Software_for_Use_ by Constantine & Lockwood (refered from the Bruce Eckel's site, by the way). Since I have some of Constantine's structured programming books in my library, I ordered it without looking, feeling confident it would be a good reference book, at the very least.

        I'm currently up to chapter 10, and spending as much time reading as I can. I hope there are a few people still reading/using this group, as I believe I'll have a fair number of questions.