RE: [usage-centered] Digest Number 12

  • Michael@netpolarity.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2000
      unsubscribe

      -----Original Message-----
      From: usage-centered@egroups.com [mailto:usage-centered@egroups.com]
      Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 12:32 AM
      To: usage-centered@egroups.com
      Subject: [usage-centered] Digest Number 12

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Introduction
      From: john.sisk@...
      2. Re: Introduction
      From: Jeff Patton <jeff621@...>
      3. RE: Introduction
      From: "John Sisk" <john.sisk@...>
      4. RE: Introduction
      From: Jeff Patton <jeff621@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:28:54 -0000
      From: john.sisk@...
      Subject: Introduction

      Hi there,

      I've just joined the list so "Hello to everyone on the list".

      I'm a web developer with JSP and Java experience. For the last few
      weeks I've been eagerly reading Software for Use. It seems that Usage-
      centered Design will fit in very well with our XP process so I'm
      anxious to implement what I've learned so far in our next few
      iterations. So I'm looking forward to hearing how it's been working
      for others...

      Regards
      John Sisk

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:20:57 -0800 (PST)
      From: Jeff Patton <jeff621@...>
      Subject: Re: Introduction

      John,

      This group's been somewhat inactive of late. But I've
      found that if you post a question, you'll get a
      response and an opinion or two.

      I have a question for you regarding your comment about
      usage-centered design fitting into your XP
      environment: Given that XP attempts to avoid a lot of
      the up-front design trappings found in other
      development methodologies, do you foresee any
      challenges taking advantage of some of the up-front
      thinking found in usage-centered design?

      I'm curious to get your opinion given your XP culture
      there... since I think XP implementation varies from
      company to company.

      thanks,

      -Jeff

      --- john.sisk@... wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > I've just joined the list so "Hello to everyone on
      > the list".
      >
      > I'm a web developer with JSP and Java experience.
      > For the last few
      > weeks I've been eagerly reading Software for Use. It
      > seems that Usage-
      > centered Design will fit in very well with our XP
      > process so I'm
      > anxious to implement what I've learned so far in our
      > next few
      > iterations. So I'm looking forward to hearing how
      > it's been working
      > for others...
      >
      > Regards
      > John Sisk

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:34:44 -0800
      From: "John Sisk" <john.sisk@...>

      Jeff,

      Yes, XP does attempt to avoid a lot of the up-front design. However this
      doesn't mean that no design is done since in effect XP allows us to design
      constantly in an iterative process rather than a waterfall process.

      Our current process seems close to Usage-centred design. I think the extra
      steps are deriving the Role Map, breaking our "User Stories" out into
      Essential Use-cases, the Use Case Map and the various Abstract Prototyes. I
      think Abstract Prototypes are going to prove invaluable since they allow us
      to rapidly run through our User Stories in order to make sure we are
      providing what the user needs to complete their task and also providing a
      stage for the client to get a feel for the screens and suggest changes at a
      time when it is relatively easier to make those changes.

      Also, our Planning Game is similar to the Joint Essential Modeling process
      as outlined in chapter 20.

      I'll keep you posted on how well the two processes integrate.

      Regards
      John Sisk

      --- john.sisk@... wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > I've just joined the list so "Hello to everyone on
      > the list".
      >
      > I'm a web developer with JSP and Java experience.
      > For the last few
      > weeks I've been eagerly reading Software for Use. It
      > seems that Usage-
      > centered Design will fit in very well with our XP
      > process so I'm
      > anxious to implement what I've learned so far in our
      > next few
      > iterations. So I'm looking forward to hearing how
      > it's been working
      > for others...
      >
      > Regards
      > John Sisk

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:05:34 -0800 (PST)
      From: Jeff Patton <jeff621@...>

      Thanks, I'll look for a posting.

      I should have mentioned, I work in an XP environment
      as well. In this one it's been tough to inject some
      organization into the design process - at least the UI
      and usability part. If you subscribe to the
      extremeprogramming list, you see lots of folks dealing
      with how tough it is to sell XP into a non-XP
      environment. I see the same thing trying to sell
      usage-centered design into this XP environment. :-)
      Your feedback on its usefulness would be helpful.

      Thanks,

      -Jeff

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/