RE: [usage-centered] Introduction

  • Jeff Patton
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2000
      Thanks, I'll look for a posting.

      I should have mentioned, I work in an XP environment
      as well. In this one it's been tough to inject some
      organization into the design process - at least the UI
      and usability part. If you subscribe to the
      extremeprogramming list, you see lots of folks dealing
      with how tough it is to sell XP into a non-XP
      environment. I see the same thing trying to sell
      usage-centered design into this XP environment. :-)
      Your feedback on its usefulness would be helpful.

      Thanks,

      -Jeff

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • Nuno J. Nunes
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2000
        on 12/12/00 23:05, Jeff Patton at jeff621@... wrote:

        Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front modeling approach is the
        testability of the models. Can you build test cases for analysis and design
        level models? Whether they are for user interface design purposes or not
        doesn't matter.

        Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent usability evaluation of
        prototypes are a way of testing user interface models... I don't believe
        they match the initial idea behind XP... For instance, can you break those
        tests?

        This and other issues where discussed in a workshop at UML'2000 in Kent - UK
        last September - eXtreme Programming and Modeling
        (http://www.extrememodeling.org/XpmWorkshop.html). There is also a site from
        the workshop organizers about this subject http://www.extrememodeling.org/

        Cheers
        Nuno
        University of Madeira - Teaching Assistant
        Mathematics Dep. - Computer Science Unit
        phone: +351 291 705160 (direct) 705150 (secretary)
        fax: +351 291 705199
          Hi Nuno,

          You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie testing the model.
          Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org which opens up a new
          learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting discussions here at work
          :)

          Regards
          John Sisk

          <snip>
          Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front modeling approach is the
          testability of the models. Can you build test cases for analysis and design
          level models? Whether they are for user interface design purposes or not
          doesn't matter.

          Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent usability evaluation of
          prototypes are a way of testing user interface models... I don't believe
          they match the initial idea behind XP... For instance, can you break those
          tests?
          </snip>
        • Jeff Patton
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 15, 2000
            Just to add my 2 cents to testability and UI - and I'm
            not sure it pertains directly to extremeModeling: I
            work in an XP shop, and indeed there is a focus on
            making things testable. I've seen it impose a
            detrimental effect on usability at times.
            Specifically, I've seen UI be implemented a particular
            way *because it's testable* not because it best
            supports what the user is trying to accomplish.

            Basically that points to keeping our eye on the goal -
            to create usable, good software. XP is a means to an
            end - not an end in and of itself.

            </twoCents>

            thanks,

            -Jeff

            --- John Sisk <john.sisk@...> wrote:
            > Hi Nuno,
            >
            > You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie
            > testing the model.
            > Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org
            > which opens up a new
            > learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting
            > discussions here at work
            > :)
            >
            > Regards
            > John Sisk
            >
            > <snip>
            > Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front
            > modeling approach is the
            > testability of the models. Can you build test cases
            > for analysis and design
            > level models? Whether they are for user interface
            > design purposes or not
            > doesn't matter.
            >
            > Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent
            > usability evaluation of
            > prototypes are a way of testing user interface
            > models... I don't believe
            > they match the initial idea behind XP... For
            > instance, can you break those
            > tests?
            > </snip>

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • Nuno J. Nunes
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 17, 2000
              on 16/12/00 00:35, Jeff Patton at jeff621@... wrote:

              > Just to add my 2 cents to testability and UI - and I'm
              > not sure it pertains directly to extremeModeling: I
              > work in an XP shop, and indeed there is a focus on
              > making things testable. I've seen it impose a
              > detrimental effect on usability at times.
              > Specifically, I've seen UI be implemented a particular
              > way *because it's testable* not because it best
              > supports what the user is trying to accomplish.

              My comment wasn't about usability... It was about XP and lot's of people out
              there saying that they are doing XP when in fact they found XP to be a
              "cool" name to call their ad-hoc chaotic ways of working... [I'm of course
              not talking about anybody in particular].

              XP means taking every programming practice to an extreme. Let's say
              testing... You have to test everything and you can't write code unless you
              write a test case and try to break it. XP is also against any kind of
              modeling at higher levels of abstraction (i.e. you can draw a couple of UML
              diagrams if they represent implementation level models). This is highly
              against any model-based approach to software development - including usage
              centered design and others.

              > Basically that points to keeping our eye on the goal -
              > to create usable, good software. XP is a means to an
              > end - not an end in and of itself.

              If you mean that one can use some of XP practices within a different
              development approach... That's Ok but that's not XP. The only thing new to
              XP is taking every practice to an extreme... If you only take some you're
              not doing XP... But you can develop good and usable software.

              Nuno

              > --- John Sisk <john.sisk@...> wrote:
              >> Hi Nuno,
              >>
              >> You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie
              >> testing the model.
              >> Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org
              >> which opens up a new
              >> learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting
              >> discussions here at work
              >> :)
              >>
              >> Regards
              >> John Sisk
              >>
              >> <snip>
              >> Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front
              >> modeling approach is the
              >> testability of the models. Can you build test cases
              >> for analysis and design
              >> level models? Whether they are for user interface
              >> design purposes or not
              >> doesn't matter.
              >>
              >> Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent
              >> usability evaluation of
              >> prototypes are a way of testing user interface
              >> models... I don't believe
              >> they match the initial idea behind XP... For
              >> instance, can you break those
              >> tests?
              >> </snip>

              > http://shopping.yahoo.com/

              University of Madeira - Teaching Assistant
              Mathematics Dep. - Computer Science Unit
              phone: +351 291 705160 (direct) 705150 (secretary)
              fax: +351 291 705199
                I've been programming for a living for around 26 years now. I learned to program 38 years ago in abstract machine language ( no computer to run it on). Most recently (last 10 years or so), I've been doing object oriented programming in C++. The majority of what I've been doing has only had error messages for a user interface, with a few exceptions. What little GUI work I've done has been with Borland, MS VC++, and MS VB. It has all been by following the examples of what I've seen, and hasn't been desingned at all.

                Since I value design very highly in building classes in C++, I was very glad to run across _Software_for_Use_ by Constantine & Lockwood (refered from the Bruce Eckel's site, by the way). Since I have some of Constantine's structured programming books in my library, I ordered it without looking, feeling confident it would be a good reference book, at the very least.

                I'm currently up to chapter 10, and spending as much time reading as I can. I hope there are a few people still reading/using this group, as I believe I'll have a fair number of questions.