Re: [usage-centered] Introduction

  • Jeff Patton
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2000
      John,

      This group's been somewhat inactive of late. But I've
      found that if you post a question, you'll get a
      response and an opinion or two.

      I have a question for you regarding your comment about
      usage-centered design fitting into your XP
      environment: Given that XP attempts to avoid a lot of
      the up-front design trappings found in other
      development methodologies, do you foresee any
      challenges taking advantage of some of the up-front
      thinking found in usage-centered design?

      I'm curious to get your opinion given your XP culture
      there... since I think XP implementation varies from
      company to company.

      thanks,

      -Jeff

      --- john.sisk@... wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > I've just joined the list so "Hello to everyone on
      > the list".
      >
      > I'm a web developer with JSP and Java experience.
      > For the last few
      > weeks I've been eagerly reading Software for Use. It
      > seems that Usage-
      > centered Design will fit in very well with our XP
      > process so I'm
      > anxious to implement what I've learned so far in our
      > next few
      > iterations. So I'm looking forward to hearing how
      > it's been working
      > for others...
      >
      > Regards
      > John Sisk

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • John Sisk
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2000
        Jeff,

        Yes, XP does attempt to avoid a lot of the up-front design. However this
        doesn't mean that no design is done since in effect XP allows us to design
        constantly in an iterative process rather than a waterfall process.

        Our current process seems close to Usage-centred design. I think the extra
        steps are deriving the Role Map, breaking our "User Stories" out into
        Essential Use-cases, the Use Case Map and the various Abstract Prototyes. I
        think Abstract Prototypes are going to prove invaluable since they allow us
        to rapidly run through our User Stories in order to make sure we are
        providing what the user needs to complete their task and also providing a
        stage for the client to get a feel for the screens and suggest changes at a
        time when it is relatively easier to make those changes.

        Also, our Planning Game is similar to the Joint Essential Modeling process
        as outlined in chapter 20.

        I'll keep you posted on how well the two processes integrate.

        Regards
        John Sisk

        --- john.sisk@... wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I've just joined the list so "Hello to everyone on
        > the list".
        >
        > I'm a web developer with JSP and Java experience.
        > For the last few
        > weeks I've been eagerly reading Software for Use. It
        > seems that Usage-
        > centered Design will fit in very well with our XP
        > process so I'm
        > anxious to implement what I've learned so far in our
        > next few
        > iterations. So I'm looking forward to hearing how
        > it's been working
        > for others...
        >
        > Regards
        > John Sisk

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • Jeff Patton
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 12, 2000
          Thanks, I'll look for a posting.

          I should have mentioned, I work in an XP environment
          as well. In this one it's been tough to inject some
          organization into the design process - at least the UI
          and usability part. If you subscribe to the
          extremeprogramming list, you see lots of folks dealing
          with how tough it is to sell XP into a non-XP
          environment. I see the same thing trying to sell
          usage-centered design into this XP environment. :-)
          Your feedback on its usefulness would be helpful.

          Thanks,

          -Jeff

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/
        • Nuno J. Nunes
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2000
            on 12/12/00 23:05, Jeff Patton at jeff621@... wrote:

            Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front modeling approach is the
            testability of the models. Can you build test cases for analysis and design
            level models? Whether they are for user interface design purposes or not
            doesn't matter.

            Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent usability evaluation of
            prototypes are a way of testing user interface models... I don't believe
            they match the initial idea behind XP... For instance, can you break those
            tests?

            This and other issues where discussed in a workshop at UML'2000 in Kent - UK
            last September - eXtreme Programming and Modeling
            (http://www.extrememodeling.org/XpmWorkshop.html). There is also a site from
            the workshop organizers about this subject http://www.extrememodeling.org/

            Cheers
            Nuno
            University of Madeira - Teaching Assistant
            Mathematics Dep. - Computer Science Unit
            phone: +351 291 705160 (direct) 705150 (secretary)
            fax: +351 291 705199
              Hi Nuno,

              You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie testing the model.
              Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org which opens up a new
              learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting discussions here at work
              :)

              Regards
              John Sisk

              <snip>
              Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front modeling approach is the
              testability of the models. Can you build test cases for analysis and design
              level models? Whether they are for user interface design purposes or not
              doesn't matter.

              Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent usability evaluation of
              prototypes are a way of testing user interface models... I don't believe
              they match the initial idea behind XP... For instance, can you break those
              tests?
              </snip>
            • Jeff Patton
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 15, 2000
                Just to add my 2 cents to testability and UI - and I'm
                not sure it pertains directly to extremeModeling: I
                work in an XP shop, and indeed there is a focus on
                making things testable. I've seen it impose a
                detrimental effect on usability at times.
                Specifically, I've seen UI be implemented a particular
                way *because it's testable* not because it best
                supports what the user is trying to accomplish.

                Basically that points to keeping our eye on the goal -
                to create usable, good software. XP is a means to an
                end - not an end in and of itself.

                </twoCents>

                thanks,

                -Jeff

                --- John Sisk <john.sisk@...> wrote:
                > Hi Nuno,
                >
                > You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie
                > testing the model.
                > Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org
                > which opens up a new
                > learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting
                > discussions here at work
                > :)
                >
                > Regards
                > John Sisk
                >
                > <snip>
                > Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front
                > modeling approach is the
                > testability of the models. Can you build test cases
                > for analysis and design
                > level models? Whether they are for user interface
                > design purposes or not
                > doesn't matter.
                >
                > Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent
                > usability evaluation of
                > prototypes are a way of testing user interface
                > models... I don't believe
                > they match the initial idea behind XP... For
                > instance, can you break those
                > tests?
                > </snip>

                http://shopping.yahoo.com/
              • Nuno J. Nunes
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 17, 2000
                  on 16/12/00 00:35, Jeff Patton at jeff621@... wrote:

                  > Just to add my 2 cents to testability and UI - and I'm
                  > not sure it pertains directly to extremeModeling: I
                  > work in an XP shop, and indeed there is a focus on
                  > making things testable. I've seen it impose a
                  > detrimental effect on usability at times.
                  > Specifically, I've seen UI be implemented a particular
                  > way *because it's testable* not because it best
                  > supports what the user is trying to accomplish.

                  My comment wasn't about usability... It was about XP and lot's of people out
                  there saying that they are doing XP when in fact they found XP to be a
                  "cool" name to call their ad-hoc chaotic ways of working... [I'm of course
                  not talking about anybody in particular].

                  XP means taking every programming practice to an extreme. Let's say
                  testing... You have to test everything and you can't write code unless you
                  write a test case and try to break it. XP is also against any kind of
                  modeling at higher levels of abstraction (i.e. you can draw a couple of UML
                  diagrams if they represent implementation level models). This is highly
                  against any model-based approach to software development - including usage
                  centered design and others.

                  > Basically that points to keeping our eye on the goal -
                  > to create usable, good software. XP is a means to an
                  > end - not an end in and of itself.

                  If you mean that one can use some of XP practices within a different
                  development approach... That's Ok but that's not XP. The only thing new to
                  XP is taking every practice to an extreme... If you only take some you're
                  not doing XP... But you can develop good and usable software.

                  Nuno

                  > --- John Sisk <john.sisk@...> wrote:
                  >> Hi Nuno,
                  >>
                  >> You bring up an issue I hadn't considered fully , ie
                  >> testing the model.
                  >> Thank you for the link to www.extremmodeling.org
                  >> which opens up a new
                  >> learning path for me, and I'm sure some interesting
                  >> discussions here at work
                  >> :)
                  >>
                  >> Regards
                  >> John Sisk
                  >>
                  >> <snip>
                  >> Hi, the real issue regarding XP and any up-front
                  >> modeling approach is the
                  >> testability of the models. Can you build test cases
                  >> for analysis and design
                  >> level models? Whether they are for user interface
                  >> design purposes or not
                  >> doesn't matter.
                  >>
                  >> Even if you argue that prototypes and subsequent
                  >> usability evaluation of
                  >> prototypes are a way of testing user interface
                  >> models... I don't believe
                  >> they match the initial idea behind XP... For
                  >> instance, can you break those
                  >> tests?
                  >> </snip>

                  > http://shopping.yahoo.com/

                  University of Madeira - Teaching Assistant
                  Mathematics Dep. - Computer Science Unit
                  phone: +351 291 705160 (direct) 705150 (secretary)
                  fax: +351 291 705199
                    I've been programming for a living for around 26 years now. I learned to program 38 years ago in abstract machine language ( no computer to run it on). Most recently (last 10 years or so), I've been doing object oriented programming in C++. The majority of what I've been doing has only had error messages for a user interface, with a few exceptions. What little GUI work I've done has been with Borland, MS VC++, and MS VB. It has all been by following the examples of what I've seen, and hasn't been desingned at all.

                    Since I value design very highly in building classes in C++, I was very glad to run across _Software_for_Use_ by Constantine & Lockwood (refered from the Bruce Eckel's site, by the way). Since I have some of Constantine's structured programming books in my library, I ordered it without looking, feeling confident it would be a good reference book, at the very least.

                    I'm currently up to chapter 10, and spending as much time reading as I can. I hope there are a few people still reading/using this group, as I believe I'll have a fair number of questions.